Advice Request How to disable Windows 10's News and Interests taskbar newsfeed

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I do not know why Microsoft insists on releasing unwanted features that almost all users end up disabling. What a waste of resources.
My guess is that this is probably a signpost to the Edge, as it clicks on the news → opens the page at the Edge.
⚠️This may be my misunderstanding, as I only remember reading somewhere that the news and Edge are linked.

(Slimjet actually has a small built-in weather icon that displays the temp. and can be clicked to show a forecast based on the location entered. I haven't been able to figure out which company provides the service.)
I also use a slimjet, but there is no weather icon. I can't help it, so I open the window to check the weather.🌤️

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
My guess is that this is probably a signpost to the Edge, as it clicks on the news → opens the page at the Edge.
⚠️This may be my misunderstanding, as I only remember reading somewhere that the news and Edge are linked.

I also use a slimjet, but there is no weather icon. I can't help it, so I open the window to check the weather.🌤️

Who needs windows....

1621897840490.png

Last edited by a moderator:

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I do not know why Microsoft insists on releasing unwanted features that almost all users end up disabling. What a waste of resources.
I suspect the reason is that these features use the Bing search engine/services and is a way for MS to collect more data about their users
interests also get more people comfortable using their other services and not rely on Google for everything. There is a business
plan behind it all and its not a waste of resources for them.

I personally read a variety of news sites and have my own weather app installed. I would not call it useful for everyone
but others may like it.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I suspect the reason is that these features use the Bing search engine/services and is a way for MS to collect more data about their users
interests also get more people comfortable using their other services and not rely on Google for everything. There is a business
plan behind it all and its not a waste of resources for them.

I personally read a variety of news sites and have my own weather app installed. I would not call it useful for everyone
but others may like it.
Well, if Microsoft wants users to switch to Bing, then they need to revamp the service and offer a solution that surpasses Google in features.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
You are probably right, but instead of forcing users or deceiving them into using a feature, Microsoft should focus on quality and users will surely start using such services.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Nope, don't have this news feature. I still went curious and tested the news flow in Edge. I can't say how well created the news taskbar is, but personal I see little point using it when I can easy adapt and customize the news in Edge itself. It don't even hit me in the face as I have to start scroll on the mainpage.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Don't even have that menu to begin with haha. Very strange but thank you nonetheless

"Highlights

I have not installed this update, I don't want the News and Interest 'feature', so I don't know for sure if this works while Cortana is disabled or addresses any of the other queries mentioned in this thread.

This update might address another issue I've had over recent days - .flac files having their file information mangled - "..Microsoft has fixed a known Windows 10 issue that would lead to FLAC encoded music files becoming corrupted when changing their title, artist, or other metadata in File Explorer.

The bug impacts multiple Windows 10 editions (Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education, Pro Education, and Pro for Workstations) and versions (version 2004 and version 20H2).

The issue can occur when editing the metadata of FLAC files containing an ID3 frame with title and artist info before the audio file's FLAC header..."

I want this issue sorted, but not the News & Interests 'feature. I guess I'll have to install this update to prevent Windows destroying more of my music files, fortunately they are well backed up, and then remove this taskbar.

Simplicity and Microsoft seem to be unavailable in the same place at the same time, again.

Edit - I messed up the Bleeping Computer link, so I've edited it.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I installed the Windows 10 KB5003214 Cumulative Update Preview, and then turned off the new Newsfeed via:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think the demand will increase if bargain information of nearby supermarkets is displayed:D🏪.

Last night in Japan, we were able to see the collaboration of a supermoon🌕 and a total lunar eclipse🌘. If such weather phenomena can be displayed, I think the demand for weather forecasts will increase.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I don't know how it works for logged in account, since I use a local account (offline) on both a VM and personal PC. And when I click to personalize the feed, then I get all my interests and options working for the taskbar newsfeed.

The only downside is that I can't personalize which news websites in specific I want to have there.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I understand why some people like the idea of personalising the newsfeed. Personally I prefer to keep my interests as unpredictable as possible to any online source, they know some things about me, sometimes that is more information than I can remember about my myself, but I don't want them knowing everything about me. Artificial intelligence is only as intelligent as it is trained and allowed to be. If I buy a product on Ebay I get bombarded afterwards with suggestions for the same thing, or what their AI decides is similar. I don't want 47 bicycles, sheds, universal chargers or tap washers. If I read a news story online about the tax avoidance schemes that allow the richest people in the world to get even richer by not paying taxes that mere mortals have to cough up for, I don't want to read 47 other news stories on the same thing from different sources, or worse, a curated set of sources. Reading alternative takes on a news item is healthy if you want to get a balanced viewpoint, 47 takes on it eats into my life just a bit too much.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.