Troubleshoot How to Install Lacie Prosche Design Hard Drive Setup Software on Ubuntu 15.10

Neuthrone

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 21, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Everytime I put in the Lacie setup software into my Ubuntu terminal, it will only flash on and off for a millisecond, not showing the software installation screen.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I know Lacie also has Mac OSX software on it, logically thinking it was UNIX-like like Ubuntu Linux, I have tried to install the software via the Mac OSX binary file, only to get no such software can work with the .bin file. I have found out Mac OSX has a special installation system that has not been released to public for further implementation, since I don't have this on my Linux (well no one does actually), the .bin file will fail every time. I have gotten the Wine Compatibility Layer on my computer, I'm about to try Wine as my next medium for installing the .exe file.
Today I got a Lacie Porsche Design 2TB External Hard Disk Drive for my Ubuntu Linux 15.10 Wily Werewolf, I bought it from the Apple Store, which told me that it should work on my Linux laptop since they count it as a "PC" operating system. I opened the box, it said it had software to install on the computer for Mac OSX and Windows PC computers, since I have mono-develop and I'm getting Wine Compatibility Layer on my computer, I thought nothing of it. I plugged in the hard drive, found the .exe file to install it, clicked on it like I do with most of my Visual Basic files I create on my computer, the terminal window opened for just one millisecond, and didn't bring me to the setup install screen. I tried it one more time, thinking it was some sort of glitch in the software, happens sometimes, it did the same thing. I have tried thinking about using the Mac OSX file, since Mac is a UNIX-like environment like Ubuntu, only to remember they have a special coding system and kernel that only Mac Software runs on. I've tried everything as of now, I will try Wine when I get it, but I'm doubting it would work at all for the Windows .exe file on the Lexie hard drive. I'm open to anyway to fix it, even completely wiping the entire drive.

Neuthrone

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 21, 2016
I need to make the setup software install on my Ubuntu Computer in order for the hard drive to work. From what I'm hearing all around from Ubuntu Linux and just plain Linux users, they have gotten screwed on buying the Lexie hard drives, I guess I will buy another hard drive. I will not buy another hard drive from the Apple Store, I think they think Linux is some sort of invention of Microsoft, this just shows it. I guess now, what would be a good external hard drive for Ubuntu, because I'm very close on just buying me another laptop to put Linux on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alkajak
Upvote 0
A

Alkajak

Have you tried just deleting all the partitions and formatting it with Partition Editor on Linux (commonly found for me on Parted Magic)? I'd imagine the software would no longer be needed to detect the drive after that.

Upvote 0

Neuthrone

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 21, 2016
@Alkajak Good suggestion, but I have looked it up already. People on AskUbuntu say once they do that to their Lacie drives (any model), it kills the drive completely, the software is necessary for the drive to run and the software I use, MKUSB kills drives usually. By looking at it, I will need to buy another. The reason I got this was because my other EHDD has a USB B socket, I only have an extention connector with me for USB B, and it's a pain to use, plus it's starting to short out. I think I will buy the cable from Parts Express for my other EHDD, and go complain to the guy at the Apple Store who said the Lacie was for an Ubuntu computer. Thanks for the help, I have tried every method possible, guess I got burned $150 for a drive that is Operating System specific, and Ubuntu is not on its list.

Reactions: Alkajak
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.