How to install the new Microsoft Store on Windows 10 right now

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
When Microsoft unveiled the new Microsoft Store on Windows 11, it let everyone know that the new store would also come to Windows 10. Today, Microsoft started to push the new Microsoft Store to Windows 10 devices of the Insider Release Preview ring.,While that limits the official distribution to Insider devices at the moment, it is an indicator that the Store will become available soon on stable versions of Windows 10.

Even better, Windows 10 users who don't want to wait, can download the new Store application right now and upgrade the existing Store on any supported version of Windows 10, including the Stable version. A tweet by Rudy Huyn, Principal Architect of the Microsoft Store, confirmed the roll out of the new Microsoft Store.
Here is how you can get the Store right now:
  1. Load Microsoft Store - Generation Project (v1.2.3) [by @rgadguard & mkuba50] in your web browser of choice. I had issues downloading packages with several browsers, but Firefox worked without a hitch.
  2. Switch to ProductID in the first field of the form on the page.
  3. Paste 9wzdncrfjbmp into the second field, the text field.
  4. Make sure that RP is selected in the third field.
  5. Activate the checkmark at the end and wait for the results on the same page.
  6. Locate Microsoft.WindowsStore_22110.1401.10.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.msixbundle on the page and download it. It was at the bottom of the page whenever I ran the search.
  7. Download Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.7_7.2109.13004.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx as well, as you may need it.
Now that both packages are downloaded, it is time to upgrade the Store.
  1. Open an elevated PowerShell prompt, e.g. by selecting Start, typing PowerShell, and selecting the run as administrator link.
  2. Run the command Add-AppxPackage -Path FullPathToTheMsixbundleFile, .e.g Add-AppxPackage -Path c:\users\marti\downloads\Microsoft.WindowsStore_22110.1401.10.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.msixbundle
  3. If you get an error, open the downloads directory and double-click on the Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.7_7.2109.13004.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx file, then try again.
The new Store is installed and you can test it by opening it right away.

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I just downloaded the Microsoft.WindowsStore_22110.1401.10.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.msixbundle and doubled clicked it.
It installed no problems. Dont think you need to do the whole poweshell install.

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The installation without PowerShell failed on my computer. I have managed to install the new MS via PowerShell.
I just checked now that I actually downloaded two files including this one listed below as well. Both files were in the same directory.

Microsoft.UI.Xaml.2.7_7.2109.13004.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.Appx

Not sure if that would cause the double click install to fail if it was not present. Can't test it now because its already installed.

Reactions: Andy Ful

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
"Starting today, the new Microsoft Store is coming to Windows 10 PCs. This experience will be rolled out in phases to users on Windows 10 PCs running Windows 10, version 2004 or newer throughout the end of the year. It will come as an automatic Store background update – no action is required through Windows Update," explained Microsoft in a notice in the Windows Message Center.
"The new Microsoft Store on Windows has been fully redesigned to offer more content in a responsive and simple experience. It also offers improvements to the tools which enable developers to discover and configure apps."

Microsoft states that they are rolling out the new Microsoft Store in phases until the end of the year, so it may be a while before it is offered to you.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
automatic Store background update – no action is required through Windows Update
Confirmed as I just saw the new icon today. A bit more pleasant view and easier to find apps, but some of it's translations make no sense. No, I for sure haven't purchased either Candy Crush or 123 Solitaire.

monty python ugh GIF

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.