Guide | How To [How To] protect your USB from getting infected

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
i think so, Emsisoft is quite sensitive with things that modify important files (why i like it), i suspect the vaccination of the Autorun.inf to be the culprit.

Yes USB Defender is a safe product, most definitely a false positive.
It is probably flagged because it modifies system configuration, in this case all products that modify USB configuration will be flagged.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
you can see what happen when i allowed the program

ngy0Y.jpg

Anyway , it seems to be a FPs from Online Armor, EAM doesn't flag it.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
McLovin said:
I'm sure you will submit it to Emsisoft. :p

already done :D (but it is now 3am in europe so i dont think it will be un-FPed untill few hours ^^)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used Binisoft , USB Safeguard Free & USB Defender.Out of all 3 I prefer Binisoft and use it now for the same reason as Littlebits in that I like the ease of access of the controls from the Notification icon.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
USB defender protect the USB, binisoft protects your system from infected USB, quite different.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
USB defender protect the USB, binisoft protects your system from infected USB, quite different.

The end result is the same just different approach.
If you have Binisoft on "read only mode" you can view what is on your USB device but it can not write any info into your system. If you have it on "deny execute mode" you can play your videos, view pictures or videos but autorun can not function.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
yes, i understood that, but i wanted secure my USB, lately i fixed a PC infected with Sality (even MBAM could not cure it) , and one of my USB was infected right away after insertion in this system, lucky i had another one write-protected.

For securing the system from infected USB, the other tools you show us ,especially binisoft, are great (far better than BD immunizer).

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
McLovin said:
You can also get USB's that have that built into the USB.

yes i k now, but i want something that goes on every USB. USB Defender seems to be the best solution.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
And now you have USB-AV, that incorporate all the features needed:

- companion AV
- Autorun disabler
- Write-protect the usb

http://www.usb-av.com/usb-av-free.html#1

But it uses 50mb of RAM

raxa707

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
@umbra corp it is the usb av dat means the sytem is protected but wat abt the usb how can the usb be protected so that the viruses dont enter it from an infected pc?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.