Solved How To Take Care Of Your External Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Okay, so I have an external hdd 500GB that mysteriously corrupted last year, I don't know how that happened. I've lost all my personal files (Some files are 4 years old!!!) and couldn't recover it. :( Recently, my father gave me a brand new external hdd 1TB and promise to myself that I will take care of it. Any tips there on how to take care of an external hdd?

Reactions: Logethica

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
There really isn't anything special you can do to take care of it.

-Don't drop it.
-Don't spill liquids on it.
-Make sure the power pack or cord is in good condition, faulty power supply can cause problems.
-Keep it away from speakers or any other type of magnets.
-Keep it in a dry area, moisture will sometimes cause problems.
-Keep it away from extreme temperatures (hot & cold).
-Don't block air vents or put it in a small enclosure, it needs plenty of fresh air to keep from over heating.
-Keep vents clean of dust, hair and other particles- use can air to blow the vents out.
-If it is being used actively, add an external fan to help keep it cool.

The lifespan of hard drivers varies- I have some that last over 10 years but others that only lasted a few years or less.
Sometimes hard drivers will just go faulty no matter how well you take care of them.

Buy a well known brand with an extended warranty plan.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
There really isn't anything special you can do to take care of it.

-Don't drop it.
-Don't spill liquids on it.
-Make sure the power pack or cord is in good condition, faulty power supply can cause problems.
-Keep it away from speakers or any other type of magnets.
-Keep it in a dry area, moisture will sometimes cause problems.
-Keep it away from extreme temperatures (hot & cold).
-Don't block air vents or put it in a small enclosure, it needs plenty of fresh air to keep from over heating.
-Keep vents clean of dust, hair and other particles- use can air to blow the vents out.
-If it is being used actively, add an external fan to help keep it cool.

The lifespan of hard drivers varies- I have some that last over 10 years but others that only lasted a few years or less.
Sometimes hard drivers will just go faulty no matter how well you take care of them.

Buy a well known brand with an extended warranty plan.

Enjoy!! :D

Thanks a lot sir! :):):)

Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.