Advice Request How to watch YouTube without being tracked by Google?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
It's useful when you're running an AV without any web blocking component or when you're not running an AV at all like myself. I also find its tracker blocking gets past a lot sites that block access to ad block users.
I'm running two differents AV on two machines (I'm hesitant !) : 360TS and BD Free
BD Free seems blocking malicious url, and I'm using Chromium with Google Safe Browsing, so maybe it's not necessary to use Avira Browser Safety in my case...

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I believe Tor and I2P are good for net anonymity(IP hiding). I also know Tor uses only 1 or 2 extensions only but browser tracking can be done in many ways and fingerprinting is one of them independent of your IP address

Not so sure how effective Tor/I2P is against fingerprinting

Using tor might actually put you in the eyes of the government and the authorities because through the connections of your computer they know that you are using tor and treat all tor users as higher risk compared to people who use normal connections or VPN.

Source: NSA likely targets anybody who's 'Tor-curious'

Reactions: lab34

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'm running two differents AV on two machines (I'm hesitant !) : 360TS and BD Free
BD Free seems blocking malicious url, and I'm using Chromium with Google Safe Browsing, so maybe it's not necessary to use Avira Browser Safety in my case...
That's going to cause conflict if you ever do run into malware. I'd suggest ditching one. Qihoo already includes Bitdefender's engine and you can achieve Bitdefender's web blocking by using TrafficLight.

Using tor might actually put you in the eyes of the government and the authorities because through the connections of your computer they know that you are using tor and treat all tor users as higher risk compared to people who use normal connections or VPN.

Source: NSA likely targets anybody who's 'Tor-curious'
I say if whatever country's government wants to waste their time and resources monitoring someone watching innocuous Youtube videos via Tor then that's their prerogative.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
That's going to cause conflict if you ever do run into malware. I'd suggest ditching one. Qihoo already includes Bitdefender's engine and you can achieve Bitdefender's web blocking by using TrafficLight.
Sorry, I've not been clear: "on two different machines" = BD on one, 360 on the other ;)

Reactions: frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Referring to my post #34 I would like to make a small change

New Edit - You can also test whether Chameleon is working or not at ipleak.com

Just tested at ipleak.com (go for the IP Leak Report) and the Chameleon counter did show a count despite having canvas blocker extensions installed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.