How was your first experience with Windows 10 April Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Running smoothly so far. One of my home PC's updated last night before bed and from what i can remember it took about 20 to 25 mins for it to complete. So far the fastest update iv seen. Crossing my fingers still hoping nothing does appear in the days after.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The most annoying part is the inability to uninstall network protocols, since it opens computer to the wide range of attacks. As for disabling background apps or insider feedback, I took care of that. Waiting for 17134.12 though. :unsure:

Attachments

• capture_05012018_141456.jpg
    capture_05012018_141456.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 424
  • capture_05012018_140616.jpg
    capture_05012018_140616.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 443
  • capture_05012018_140547.jpg
    capture_05012018_140547.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 425

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
so far it's OK but I notice it generates more heat with higher fan speed than the most stable version 1511

I couldn't disable meltdown protection and Nvidia driver hasn't been updated for 1803 yet (latest: 21/4/2018)
it might be the reason for higher heat and higher fan speed

besides that, everything runs smoothly

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
Updated two machines. One intel NUC which was slow to before have not had time to mess with. Another machine updated just fine, how ever things are slow to open. Logging in took about 45 seconds which before took less than 10 seconds(not very happy about this). And like I said it takes a good 5 seconds or so for things to open then it runs fine.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
After the update finished, in the password screen, I choose to enter with Windows Hello, fill the choices and then my screen blacked and nothing happened. Then I made a restart, choose to enter with the other option and till then everything is ok, runs very smoothly.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
The most annoying part is the inability to uninstall network protocols, since it opens computer to the wide range of attacks. As for disabling background apps or insider feedback, I took care of that. Waiting for 17134.12 though. :unsure:
Download the update 17134.50 from this link http://tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/0bdb3aa6-264a-4fdc-a115-47a1abf24301?P1=1525180385&P2=301&P3=2&P4=gDOSPIP7+YS2+OZidTQwDJzQ3jga+/7Yc1r8CCXs4BA=
Original source: UUP (Unified Update Platform) Generation Project (v2.1.3)
I found few annoying bugs like Clicking Task view restarts explorer.exe, Set defaults app is a hit or miss.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
OEM partition is not hidden. File Explorer notifying Low disk space every few hours.

View attachment 187799View attachment 187800
That happens when you don't follow recommended partition layout laid out by MSFT. Happened to me as well and I clean install using MSFT's dispart cmds.
ON EFI system and GPT partition: You should have ESP partition (max 200MB), OS Partition and Recovery partition.
I used a combination of Dell diskpart and MSFT scripts to my liking.
Rich (BB code):
convert gpt
create partition efi size=200
format quick fs=fat32 label="ESP"
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=16

create partition primary
shrink minimum=500
format quick fs=ntfs label="OS"
assign letter="W"

create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery tools"
assign letter="R"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
In case you get errors saying disk must be offline, use offline Disk X (Where X refers to the Disk Number which will vary/change according to your system.) For example, I had my OS drive listed as Disk 0 so I used Disk 0.
In case you get stuck or feel confusing use Partition Tools from Minitool or EaseUS to do the partitioning similar to the code or script I posted above.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Everything runs smoothly except I needed to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome as in certain cases the whole system freezes. Same happened with creators update last year until Google released a fix and Intel updated their GPU driver

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Windows 10 doesn't follow Microsoft? When I first installed Windows 10, I let the OS handle the install on to the SSD. I'll check out Diskpart cmds in time.
FCU and above adheres strictly to the rules now. Earlier, MSFT updated already present recovery partition, now they create their own if its properly partitioned acc. to their docs.
Everything runs smoothly except I needed to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome as in certain cases the whole system freezes. Same happened with creators update last year until Google released a fix and Intel updated their GPU driver
Intel released new driver for spring update. Use DDU to wipe existing ones and install newer ones. Same applies to nvidia and AMD as well.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Runs well on two PC's, my disc driver on this PC reverted to a no AHCI drive, unhelpful as I have a SSD but was a matter of moments to revert. Boot time has improved. Main worry was it may break my Marantz Network player connection but it's fine. Reflect Image size reduced by a couple of GIG, all in all I love it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.