How was your first experience with Windows 10 April Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I have an option on my laptop during bootup with my win10 option is a rollback option,do you have that ,it was not there before this update?

I get a message says " We are sorry, but you can't go back".

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 283

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I had the same problem. 7 tasks running. After a couple of restarts it fixed the problem for me. THIS UPDATE IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

I can't go back to 1703. $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS is still in my OS drive. Why I can't go back?! What is this?!

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
So either hopefully you have a backup or a restore point that works

Windows deleted my Build 1703 restore points. I don't have any Build 1703 backup at all. I still have Windows.BT and Windows.WS folder in my drive, so why I can't go back?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
SumTingWong- Try this- get into the Recovery Menu by:

1). While holding down the Shift Key, click Restart
2), On the first Screen, choose Troubleshoot
3). on the next screen choose Advanced Options
4). Then choose Restore Previous Version

I know this will work as I caused my own update issues and had to do this twice as I got Error screens. Also, although I had a System Restore point, Windows did not "see" it and so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.

Finally, for those that have had successful installs- please do a few reboots to confirm prior to deleting the update files (~10Gb).

I

illumination

Windows Update Troubleshooter doesn't find anything. SFC/scannow says no problem. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth says successfully, but it doesn't solve my problem. My backups and system imaging is currently on this Build 1803. I don't have any Build 1703 backup. I still have $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS in my OS drive. How I can fix this? I think Windows think I delete these two folders, but the fact is I didn't?
Normally when these huge changes come down the pike, i wipe the system and install cleanly to avoid issues like you are having, i did not this time, as i just clean installed windows 10 two days ago, so the upgrade went smoothly.

I would recommend using the media creation tool, and wiping your drive and clean install, i will be doing this eventually, but for now, did not have time too.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
SumTingWong- Try this- get into the Recovery Menu by:

1). While holding down the Shift Key, click Restart
2), On the first Screen, choose Troubleshoot
3). on the next screen choose Advanced Options
4). Then choose Restore Previous Version

I know this will work as I caused my own update issues and had to do this twice as I got Error screens. Also, although I had a System Restore point, Windows did not "see" it and so I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.

Finally, for those that have had successful installs- please do a few reboots to confirm prior to deleting the update files (~10Gb).

I already did that. I booted into Recovery Menu > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Go back to the previous version > " We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead ( Troubleshoot > Reset This PC).

Normally when these huge changes come down the pike, i wipe the system and install cleanly to avoid issues like you are having, i did not this time, as i just clean installed windows 10 two days ago, so the upgrade went smoothly.

I would recommend using the media creation tool, and wiping your drive and clean install, i will be doing this eventually, but for now, did not have time too.

The Media Creation I created today contain Build 1803 :(

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Yes, but becuase you state you have the windows old. file, this tells me you upgraded directly, and not a clean install. A clean install may very well clear up those issues your having, this is something that almost every big push from MS causes.

I created an installation media tool onto my USB drive and it is contains build 1803. No 1709 Build. I upgraded my 1709 Build to 1803 Build yesterday through Windows Update.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You may not need to go back to 1709, if you clean install 1803.

Will that going to fix Microsoft Edge keeps running in the background automatically. Cortana, Windows Default Lock Screen, and Windows Shell Experience Host on SUSPENDED?! File Explorer keeps restarting randomly???

I

illumination

Will that going to fix Microsoft Edge keeps running in the background automatically. Cortana, Windows Default Lock Screen, and Windows Shell Experience Host on SUSPENDED?! File Explorer keeps restarting randomly???
Many issues can happen when upgrading varying from system to system, clean installs generally clear these issues up, this may include manually installing drivers when MS pushes incorrect or corrupt ones, ect.

From what i gather here, you have no back up image of 1709, so really, you have nothing to lose trying to do a clean install of 1803.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I solved my problem with no sound in my headphones. The update even restored my settings in Realtek HD Audio Manager.

In the manager, upper right corner you can see a little folder, click on it and "Disable front panel jack detection" is by default unchecked, check it and the problem is resolved.

I read in various forums people with the same problem. I hope they see this message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.