How was your first experience with Windows 10 April Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Will that going to fix Microsoft Edge keeps running in the background automatically. Cortana, Windows Default Lock Screen, and Windows Shell Experience Host on SUSPENDED?! File Explorer keeps restarting randomly???
Maybe there's an incompatibility issue with BitDefender Free. If you haven't already, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if the problems go away.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Maybe there's an incompatibility issue with BitDefender Free. If you haven't already, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if the problems go away.
Good one ! i use G-Data and no problems, also with Norton no problems. Both AV are 1803 ready.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Good one ! i use G-Data and no problems, also with Norton no problems. Both AV are 1803 ready.

Do you have Cortana and Windows Shell Experience in suspended in Task Manager? Edge keeps launching itself automatically every time Windows start.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Nope nothing suspended and Edge does not start.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Do you have Cortana and Windows Shell Experience in suspended in Task Manager? Edge keeps launching itself automatically every time Windows start.

Try creating a new local user and login to that. I've had a problem in the past with Edge not starting properly and only resolved it by creating and logging in to a new user profile.

Did you try removing BitDefender?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Try creating a new local user and login to that. I've had a problem in the past with Edge not starting properly and only resolved it by creating and logging in to a new user profile.

Did you try removing BitDefender?

I boot into Safe Mode and it is still show the same problem. Edge works normally, but it just start automatically and it is in suspended. Can I reinstall Windows without losing data by upgrading like the one demonstrated in this tutorial video?

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I boot into Safe Mode and it is still show the same problem. Edge works normally, but it just start automatically and it is in suspended. Can I reinstall Windows without losing data by upgrading like the one demonstrated in this tutorial video?

Can't say i've ever found Safe Mode particulary useful except when i have problems with graphic card drivers. I don't understand how Edge can be working normally if it's suspended.

If I was you, I would first try creating a new user profile and/or removing any third-party AV/security soft. If you can't be bothered with either of these suggestions then just do in an in-place upgrade:

How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide

Reactions: vtqhtr413

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It just moved to 84%, meaning it's not broken! What a relief, I was already grabbing the system image o_O

And then there are the four re-starts and configuration...… But, hold that relief until you see what MS has done to your machine. Looks like there are surprises for a lot of folks. I wish I had waited. What was I thinking?:confused:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
And then there are the four re-starts and configuration...… But, hold that relief until you see what MS has done to your machine. Looks like there are surprises for a lot of folks. I wish I had waited. What was I thinking?:confused:

So far so good. It's updated already and it's running really smoothly! Time to check what this new version has brought us :)

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I have an option on my laptop during bootup with my win10 option is a rollback option,do you have that ,it was not there before this update?
Never heard of this in any of the post here, can't wait to try it.

Windows deleted my Build 1703 restore points. I don't have any Build 1703 backup at all. I still have Windows.BT and Windows.WS folder in my drive, so why I can't go back?
You posted yesterday that you couldn't restore successfully from your recovery drive.

I already did that. I booted into Recovery Menu > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Go back to the previous version > " We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows. Try resetting your PC instead ( Troubleshoot > Reset This PC).
Did you try resetting your PC?

The Media Creation I created today contain Build 1803 :(
This is a great thing, smart move.

You may not need to go back to 1709, if you clean install 1803.
SumTingWong, this is very good advice.

If i were you i would take my loss and do a clean install.
More good advice. Use the media creation tool, remove all drives except your main SSD, backup anything you need on the SSD before you perform a complete install of windows 10 1803. Good luck buddy.:)

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I haven't done a clean install of Windows 10 on the main computer I use, for three years and don't plan on doing so for many years. I've got way too many programs installed for me to take the time to do a clean install and then reinstall any programs I use. It's about five different computers, that I've been running the same install of Windows on so far. When I get another computer, I replace its hard drive with my SSD.

When I first tried to install the April update a few weeks ago, it failed. I'll try again, now that's it's officially been released. If it fails again, I'll be looking at log files from the upgrade to (possibly) find the cause and fix it.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Do any of you guys have this suspended processes listed in your task manager? Open up Task Manager > Processes tab > Right click on tab Processes tab > check Status. For some unknown reasons, Microsoft Edge start by itself when Windows boot up. It like Microsoft Edge is the startup browser.

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Screenshot_10.png
    Screenshot_10.png
    107 KB · Views: 261
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.