How was your first experience with Windows 10 April Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I did a clean install a few hours ago, and so far no issues (that I know about). (y):)

Does your task manager show these? Does Edge start by itself when Windows boot up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_10.png
    Screenshot_10.png
    107 KB · Views: 236

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Do any of you guys have this suspended processes listed in your task manager? Open up Task Manager > Processes tab > Right click on tab Processes tab > check Status. For some unknown reasons, Microsoft Edge start by itself when Windows boot up. It like Microsoft Edge is the startup browser.
I have some suspended processes, but Edge did not run again, after the first boot.
The suspended processes I have are as follows:
Cortana
Microsoft Outlook Communications
Microsoft Skype
Windows Shell Experience Host

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Guys, I am seriously need help. Why is my UEFI GPT Bootable Windows 10 installation media USB listed on where do you want to install Windows? I try to install Windows 10 in UEFI. I download the Media Creation Tool and then choose ISO and then burn ISO to Rufus software to USB drive in UEFI that listed here: How to install Windows 10 from USB with UEFI support
Drive 0 Unallocated Space : SSD
Drive 1 Partition 1: My UEFI USB Bootable Windows 10. Type is Primary as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Guys, I am seriously need help. Why is my UEFI GPT Bootable Windows 10 installation media USB listed on where do you want to install Windows? I try to install Windows 10 in UEFI. I download the Media Creation Tool and then choose ISO and then burn ISO to Rufus software to USB drive in UEFI that listed here: How to install Windows 10 from USB with UEFI support
Drive 0 Unallocated Space : SSD
Drive 1 Partition 1: My UEFI USB Bootable Windows 10. Type is Primary as well.

why use Rufus when you can directly make a USB with MCT...

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well I give up on this version for the time being. Three times I installed and I cannot get away from a screen resolution of 1024X 768 instead of 166X768 everything looks squashed and I can't find a way around it. Not sure what to do next. :mad:(n)

D

Deleted member 178

Well I give up on this version for the time being. Three times I installed and I cannot get away from a screen resolution of 1024X 768 instead of 166X768 everything looks squashed and I can't find a way around it. Not sure what to do next. :mad:(n)
clean install?
did you installed the VGA and GPU drivers?

Reactions: frogboy

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I am experiencing complete system freezes. Reading some other forums, the problem seems to be with hardware acceleration when using Chrome. I'll try siabling it to see if it solves the problem.

*Update*
Just received a notification from NVidia about a driver update.. maybe this will sove the problem.

D

Deleted member 65228

I haven't updated my system yet, I didn't have the guts to bring myself to do it so quickly. The thought of being forced to revert back with a backup after waiting for the update download and installation just did not seem very appeasing to me at all... Since I knew there would probably be bugs waiting for me around the corner. As there was for many other people, practically 99.9% of the people I know.

I will update my system after Microsoft have addressed some of the bugs on the latest build, but in the mean-time I will update on the virtual environment which I use a majority of the time anyway. At-least then it doesn't matter if there's bugs and I won't have to waste more time reverting back only to re-update later on in a few days/a weeks time.

TIP: It is probably not a very good idea to try and upgrade to a brand new build of Windows which has underwent so many changes with your primary real-time security solution installed unless you've checked with the vendor that compatibility is fine - not just enabled, but literally installed - and using no security post-update is neither a good idea since it leaves you vulnerable, therefore in such a scenario I'd wait until your vendor confirms compatibility or switch to another vendor who are compatible temporarily at-least. I know many people did this and were fine but with a sensitive product from a vendor like Kaspersky or COMODO (who have rather intriguing technology for features like virtualization), I wouldn't recommend it unless you're asking to be set-back by update failure or post-update problems.

Be careful of driver compatibility as well... The new build of Windows has had changes for the actual Windows Kernel, this can affect device drivers you're using non-security package related which were originally compatible with your system. What happens then? More problems.

Make sure you at-least have a backup before updating... Standard stuff.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Just an update. After the NVidia update I experienced no more freezes... My HP printers also complained about Windows changing HP drivers for generic Microsoft drivers. Reintalling the printer software solved the problem.

I hope I it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.