How was your first experience with Windows 10 April Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I also only have more alerts with Controlled Folder Access and added those apps:
View attachment 187890View attachment 187891
So i'm not sure if Controlled Folder Access is still useful when you have to create so many exceptions... :unsure:

Precisely my own experience. I quit adding exceptions because of it... + I don't have enough knowledge to even find the various Windows process.exe files that are repeatedly flagged.

Reactions: frogboy

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Yikes! Cruel Comodo folks also using Controlled Folder Access? Why?

CFA is of definite use to our less informed Brothers and Sisters (those using things other than CF), but with a downside of leaving unprotected the plethora of other folders that are not included in the initial setup. This is because CFA neither detects nor stops in any way the mechanism of ransomware, but instead is coded to stop malicious actions on those things that the User tells it to protect (and God knows if it actually will work for all forms of ransomware- I personally have not tested it as it bores me...).

Anyway, for those that use traditional Security Protection Modalities CFA is indeed an upgrade. But for CF folks- we can pretty much sit back, not obsess over such things, and when we see posts regarding what should or should not be included in CFA instead contemplate on the Words of the Immortal Bard:

"Lord, What Fools these Mortals Be..."

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yikes! Cruel Comodo folks also using Controlled Folder Access? Why?

CFA is of definite use to our less informed Brothers and Sisters (those using things other than CF), but with a downside of leaving unprotected the plethora of other folders that are not included in the initial setup. This is because CFA neither detects nor stops in any way the mechanism of ransomware, but instead is coded to stop malicious actions on those things that the User tells it to protect (and God knows if it actually will work for all forms of ransomware- I personally have not tested it as it bores me...).

Anyway, for those that use traditional Security Protection Modalities CFA is indeed an upgrade. But for CF folks- we can pretty much sit back, not obsess over such things, and when we see posts regarding what should or should not be included in CFA instead contemplate on the Words of the Immortal Bard:

"Lord, What Fools these Mortals Be..."

Got it! Had it on by default after installing CF. Turned it off not long after the update when all the CFA commotion started. "Trust the force (CF) Skywalker, trust the force!" Thanks for the reply!

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I installed the update a few days ago on my Windows laptop and it's been perfectly fine so far with no lockups, BSODs, etc. All of the software I use is working just fine with the update and am seeing no issues so far.

Running Windows 10 Pro just fine with Bitlocker encrypted drives using a TPM and the upgrade process caused 0 issues with them.

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
Tried to install from Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update, after clicking Update and Restart and going through the "your pc may restart several times" thing, I got a BSOD with error 0xc000021a , I was able to boot with "disable signature driver enforcement", only to see that Windows was still on version 1709 and again asked me to install 1803...

Had to use acronis image backup, 0/10 update would not install again

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Tried to install from Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update, after clicking Update and Restart and going through the "your pc may restart several times" thing, I got a BSOD with error 0xc000021a , I was able to boot with "disable signature driver enforcement", only to see that Windows was still on version 1709 and again asked me to install 1803...

Had to use acronis image backup, 0/10 update would not install again
I had to restore my system also, just waiting at the moment. :(

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
it seems to be a lot more buggy on laptop with dual graphics
it would work fine on intel HD graphics but not on nvidia
at least for several users reported on geforce forum
I have HP Probook 4730s with dual Videocard, no problems at all.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have HP Probook 4730s with dual Videocard, no problems at all.
perhaps you haven't experienced its bugs yet. You would definitely have if you use some features with confirmed bugs such as core isolation, for example

I installed 1803 on my laptop with dual graphics + the latest nvidia driver, Fifa18 was unplayable (fps <10-20, lowest settings) after the first half while it was playable ~25-40fps on windows 1511
same problem happens on v1709. Simple unplayable since the creators update

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.