How was your first experience with Windows 10 April Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Why are you guys doing the USB thing? It's no longer necessary. Use Media Creation Tool to download the iso, double click on iso to mount it, click setup.exe, you just saved yourself many many steps. 30 min upgrade.

Unlike Upgrade through Windows Update, it resets your registry. But unlike a clean install you keep all of your programs and drivers and settings. It feels just like a clean install. Never do through Windows Update and never do a full clean install. It's not worth it. In-place upgrade is the way to go. (y)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Why are you guys doing the USB thing? It's no longer necessary. Use Media Creation Tool to download the iso, double click on iso to mount it, click setup.exe, you just saved yourself many many steps. 30 min upgrade.

Unlike Upgrade through Windows Update, it resets your registry. But unlike a clean install you keep all of your programs and drivers and settings. It feels just like a clean install. Never do through Windows Update and never do a full clean install. It's not worth it. In-place upgrade is the way to go. (y)
I'm updating it that way. I started at 11 AM and now it's almost 7 PM here, still not finished. If it's not done until 10 PM, I'm cancelling it and trying again tomorrow through the Windows Update.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For any that care: I did a couple of straight 1803 upgrades through Windows Update on systems with CF installed at my settings. I tried various things and the only issue (not an issue really, just a popup) was on a system with IE set as the default browser- in this case there was a popup that the Home page was being changed- and this actually referred to a Microsoft Edge "Please Use Me" thingy.

But other than that there was no difference in having CF active at my settings or having it totally deactivated.

As a sidenote, already knowing that you guys are light-years ahead of me on browser choices, I have to say that I am liking M Edge.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I had problems with Rufus, so I switched to Universal USB Installer - Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
Just format USB to FAT32, use ISO with install.wim and it should be able to pick up anything, UEFI/MBR/GPT.

MY USB flash drive is already in GPT, and right now I am doing a full format in Disk Management. I have to figure out why the hell my USB bootable flash drive showed up in " Where do you want to install Windows " windows. It is not supposed to be there, and only my SSD should be there alone not with the USB labeled as Drive 1 Partition 1 and Type is Primary.

Reactions: Weebarra

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
For any that care: I did a couple of straight 1803 upgrades through Windows Update on systems with CF installed at my settings. I tried various things and the only issue (not an issue really, just a popup) was on a system with IE set as the default browser- in this case there was a popup that the Home page was being changed- and this actually referred to a Microsoft Edge "Please Use Me" thingy.

But other than that there was no difference in having CF active at my settings or having it totally deactivated.

As a sidenote, already knowing that you guys are light-years ahead of me on browser choices, I have to say that I am liking M Edge.

I use CF with your settings and updated fine in 2+ hrs total with no problems except those I'm having with Controlled Folder Access (it could be user :unsure: so it's off now!). It even saved my settings and default Firefox browser. And I liked Edge before the update - it's snappy and has a clean interface, my #2 though I'm trying to be Brave now and like that as well. Sayonara Google!

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Installed it yesterday evening after hours of download (it was stuck on "initializing...").
When the installation is finished, my wifi password was gone and I had to replace it, ZAL was blocked due to the impossibility by starting the services, but after another reboot everything was fine.

I cleaned around 24GB of old Windows installation files using disk cleanup tool.

A tip, if you notice some slowdown, it is probably necessary to defragment the disk, in my case it was 24% of fragmented files.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I use CF with your settings and updated fine in 2+ hrs total with no problems except those I'm having with Controlled Folder Access (it could be user :unsure: so it's off now!). It even saved my settings and default Firefox browser. And I liked Edge before the update - it's snappy and has a clean interface, my #2 though I'm trying to be Brave now and like that as well. Sayonara Google!
I also only have more alerts with Controlled Folder Access and added those apps:
CFA1.JPG CFA2.JPG
So i'm not sure if Controlled Folder Access is still useful when you have to create so many exceptions... :unsure:

D

Deleted member 65228

So i'm not sure if Controlled Folder Access is still useful when you have to create so many exceptions.
It should still be useful as long as you do not exclude malicious software or get hit with an attack that will perform RCE into an excluded process.

Either way, I recommend keeping your data backed up externally and online (use encryption before cloud service uploads) say on case the Controlled Folder Access feature ever were to fail, as a safety precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.