Advice Request How works the restoration of encrypted files ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
The new 25 version of Bitdefender did not continue to provide "safe files" protection but there is a possibility to restore the encrypted files.
How works this restoration ? And is it really effective ?
1.PNG

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Thanks @The Cog in the Machine
I'm waiting for @Solarquest answer.

Apparently Bitdefender removed safe files.

"My Bitdefender contact explained that “less used and timeworn secondary functionalities have been removed…as part of a continuous revision in terms of user needs.” Also dropped are the Safe Files component, which aimed to balk ransomware by banning unauthorized changes to protected files, and the File Vault encryption system. Note that enhanced Ransomware Remediation takes up the slack left by removing Safe Files. In testing, it proved effective."

Bitdefender should automatically upgrade to the new version when available but it still didn't on any of my systems.
I finally decided to "force" the update and just installed the latest 25 version on my VM and will test it in the next days vs new MW/RW.

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Apparently Bitdefender removed safe files.

"My Bitdefender contact explained that “less used and timeworn secondary functionalities have been removed…as part of a continuous revision in terms of user needs.” Also dropped are the Safe Files component, which aimed to balk ransomware by banning unauthorized changes to protected files, and the File Vault encryption system. Note that enhanced Ransomware Remediation takes up the slack left by removing Safe Files. In testing, it proved effective."

Bitdefender should automatically upgrade to the new version when available but it still didn't on any of my systems.
I finally decided to "force" the update and just installed the latest 25 version on my VM and will test it in the next days vs new MW/RW.
Thanks @Solarquest for your explanations.
I look forward to the results of your tests hoping that the restoration is as effective as the safe files.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I just run a quick test with few older RW samples and realtime shield disabled: the RW protection&remediation seems to work , at least on documents and picture folder.....files on desktop and downloads were protected but not .exe nor on .lnk files....at the end the DemonWare ransomware defeated Bit and also .zip, .txt, .doc files were encrypted on desktop and in downloads folders (.jpg, and .png were still safe).

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I just run a quick test with few older RW samples and realtime shield disabled: the RW protection&remediation seems to work , at least on documents and picture folder.....files on desktop and downloads were protected but not .exe nor on .lnk files....at the end the DemonWare ransomware defeated Bit and also .zip, .txt, .doc files were encrypted on desktop and in downloads folders (.jpg, and .png were still safe).
Thanks @Solarquest (y)
Hum:(, so we can conclude that the new RW protection&remediation is less efficient than the previous "safe files" ?:unsure:

Last edited:

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Thanks @Solarquest (y)
Hum:(, so we can conclude that the new RW protection&remediation is less efficient than the previous "safe files" ?:unsure:
It's too early to say......as of now, considering documents and pictures folder were safe, it looks like it's the same as before, just one new name for the RW protection....but you cannot add additional folders to the "safe" ones.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.