Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Hello. I posted this in the Avast forum, but I know some of you are gurus in here too so? Just today I started getting "Your Connection Is Not Private attackers might be trying to steal your information when opening Chrome to my homepage Start.me or going to a few different "reputable" websites. Not Secure is in the search field to the left of the URL address. When I remove the check mark from enable HTTPS scanning under Web Shield everything works fine again. At first I thought it may be Zemana AntiLogger, so I shut it down and wasn't running it in real time. Maybe a recent update? I think there was a problem like this a few years ago with Avast HTTPS scanning and Firefox, but it was corrected after an update. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen? I don't like leaving it unchecked. It works OK with the Edge browser, but I don't have Firefox installed. I also disabled the Avast Online Security extension, but it didn't help. Thanks.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello. I posted this in the Avast forum, but I know some of you are gurus in here too so? Just today I started getting "Your Connection Is Not Private attackers might be trying to steal your information when opening Chrome to my homepage Start.me or going to a few different "reputable" websites. Not Secure is in the search field to the left of the URL address. When I remove the check mark from enable HTTPS scanning under Web Shield everything works fine again. At first I thought it may be Zemana AntiLogger, so I shut it down and wasn't running it in real time. Maybe a recent update? I think there was a problem like this a few years ago with Avast HTTPS scanning and Firefox, but it was corrected after an update. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen? I don't like leaving it unchecked. It works OK with the Edge browser, but I don't have Firefox installed. I also disabled the Avast Online Security extension, but it didn't help. Thanks.
I get various problems from the AV scanning of HTTPS connections. I usually turn off that scanning.
You are protected enough with your chrome extensions, you don't need your AV to do the same thing

Reactions: Wordward

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
OK. So the Avast extension is essentially the same thing? I did not know that. :) I wonder why it suddenly became so, I guess sensitive is the word I'm looking for. lol It was working just fine since I installed it maybe a month ago. Well it did do it once before, a week or so ago, and I thought it was Zemana. Maybe it'll get fixed. I'll leave it unchecked for now. Thanks shmu26.

Reactions: shmu26

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Wordward That is interesting, I wasn't aware because I keep that setting disabled. I soley allow Google Chrome to notify if a site is secure or not. Chrome has a variety of extra settings under Chrome://Flags for you to experiment with.

Reactions: Wordward and shmu26

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
OK. It happens when I have HTTPS enabled and running Zemana AntiLogger. Something must be conflicting between the two. I imagine Zemana scans HTTPS too. They work together for awhile and then the trouble starts. I'm going to disable the extension, just for fun, and if it does it then I'll enable the extension, untick HTTPS again, and be done with it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.