Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I can't block browser mining scripts
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Mentioned in the thread
This is... weird. I can't block coin-miners scripts on any browser on my system.

I have AdGuard for PC with a lifetime license. I have some filters, including coinminers filter. But I can't block, for example, this specific site:

Crypto-mining URL Warning!
Code:
https://windscribe.com/miner/76ymafne
(which is a referral link a user here posted so we could help him browser mine for extra Windscribe GB's).

When I load it, I get no notification from AdGuard, which is active, and my GPU and CPU numbers show I'm mining. Posted on Adguard Github page: windscribe.com · Issue #19475 · AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters and I got told they're not having that issue at all.

So, here I said: let's try another thing.

1. Installed NoCoin extension. No blocking
2. Installed MinerBlock. No blocking
3. Installed ScriptSafe for godsake. No blocking.

Right here I started thinking it was a browser issue. Tried few several others. No blocking.

Okay RoboMan, time to think. Okay, we may have some incompatibilities. Which software may be screwing web filtering? Well obviously my antivirus.

4. Disabled Kaspersky web script injection. No blocking
5. Disabled Kaspersky whole Web Module. No blocking

What else? I have OSArmor and MBAE.

6. Disabled both. No.goddamn.bocking.

So this is my lifestory, please drop a like and suscribe, If it's the first time you watch any of my videos please share it with your friends :D

PS: HELP OR I'M GONNA BECOME A BURNED OUT ROBOT

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
minerBlock extension in FF blocks it dead!!

For Chrome, the only effective one is Heilig Defense MinerOff

For FF/Chrome, other coin miner extensions which indicate a block, adguard adblocker extension with no coin filter, malwarebytes extension, uBO with coin blocker filters, adguard for desktop with no coin filter ALL cannot block based on CPU activity shown in Task Manager

Not even my ESET IS and Emsisoft Anti-Malware show any block

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
minerBlock extension in FF blocks it dead!!

For Chrome, the only effective one is Heilig Defense MinerOff

For FF/Chrome, other coin miner extensions which indicate a block, adguard adblocker extension with no coin filter, malwarebytes extension, uBO with coin blocker filters, adguard for desktop with no coin filter ALL cannot block based on CPU activity shown in Task Manager

Not even my ESET IS and Emsisoft Anti-Malware show any block
That's the wierdest part! For example, uBlock Origin (with no coin filter) showed it blocked something, nevertheless Task Manager showed activity...Up there a friend said Kaspersky wouldn't let him mine. Then why my Kaspersky let ME mine? lol

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
That's the wierdest part! For example, uBlock Origin (with no coin filter) showed it blocked something, nevertheless Task Manager showed activity...Up there a friend said Kaspersky wouldn't let him mine. Then why my Kaspersky let ME mine? lol
Yes, even other coin miner extensions also show they blocked something and Task Manager shows high CPU activity but they cannot block.

As for Kaspersky you need to ask that guy.

Upvote 0

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
is there any proof that you are mining besides the screenshots you posted on adguard github? because they were absolutely normal

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I just ran a simple test with that url
1. Both KFA & Adguard extension enabled: No mining
2. Disabled KFA & Adguard enabled: No mining
3. Enabled KFA & Adguard disabled: No mining
4. Disabled both KFA & Adguard: Mining
For the test I clean installed KFA 2019 (Kaspersky extension disabled but script injecting enabled with HTTPS scanning) and Adguard extension (with only English and spyware filters ON) in Firefox 61.0.1
It's weird that both of them are not working for you simultaneously.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I just ran a simple test with that url
1. Both KFA & Adguard extension enabled: No mining
2. Disabled KFA & Adguard enabled: No mining
3. Enabled KFA & Adguard disabled: No mining
4. Disabled both KFA & Adguard: Mining
For the test I clean installed KFA 2019 (Kaspersky extension disabled but script injecting enabled with HTTPS scanning) and Adguard extension (with only English and spyware filters ON) in Firefox 61.0.1
It's weird that both of them are not working for you simultaneously.
It may be a misunderstanding. From previous posts our pals here made, I may be wrong. I noticed up to 15% CPU usage and up to 10% GPU usage. Can't explain the CPU and GPU is for the graph movement, aforementioned above. As well, they mentioned that I should be at 50% CPU to be mining, and I'm not. The only weird thing is that AdGuard devs mentioned they got an AdGuard notification telling them the site used coinhive, but I get no notification at all..

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It may be a misunderstanding. From previous posts our pals here made, I may be wrong. I noticed up to 15% CPU usage and up to 10% GPU usage. Can't explain the CPU and GPU is for the graph movement, aforementioned above. As well, they mentioned that I should be at 50% CPU to be mining, and I'm not. The only weird thing is that AdGuard devs mentioned they got an AdGuard notification telling them the site used coinhive, but I get no notification at all..
My CPU does reach 50% after about 5-7 secs, while GPU is at about ~20%, also live stats in the webpage shows how many hashes I have generated.
About that notification from Adguard, that maybe for the Adguared Windows application. I am using the extension with no notifications about mining, although extension does show some numbers on it's icon that it did block something on that page. I checked it indeed was blocking 'coinhive'.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 349
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Did you see my post #28 about coinhive?

Here is what their web page says about coin hive.
"
What is this?

When you have this page open, your computer will use its spare CPU cycles to solve math puzzles (hashes) in order to mine Monero. As a result, you may see that your CPU usage is higher than normal, but you can control this with a slider below. This does not compromise your privacy. We're utilizing a service provided by Coin-Hive, you can read their privacy policy here.

Each solved puzzle is credited to your account. You can redeem your balance for free upgrades at the bottom of this page."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.