I have a problem running HitmanPro for some time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
And I see where you had trouble running Zemana as well. Could a Windows driver be corrupt? I wonder.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Just an idea you can try to see if it works.

First, uninstall ESET and use their removal tool to get rid of all traces.
Reboot your system and activate Windows default security features if not activated.
Try running Hitman Pro and Zemana, if they run then you know the problem was caused by ESET.

If they still will not run then it has to be a problem with Windows 8.1 update. You may need to uninstall it until the final release is offered on Windows Update. Just because everything worked on some updated systems doesn't mean everything will work on all updated systems. There could be problems related to your system.

Enjoy!! :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
OK GUYS, I AM CONFUSED LIKE A FAT KID WITH THE SALAD !!!

I have created Hitman Pro Kickstart USB on other computer. It copied 3 files on the USB drive

hitmanpro.exe
hitmanprox64.exe
kickstarter.exe

I booted from USB flash drive and I got 3 options, I went to first option (Bypass MBR record).
Then Windows started to diagnose my PC for startup problems and attempted to repair Startup problems (which actually doesn’t exists, I could boot to Windows normally every time).
At the end it showed up something like : Windows cannot repair your startup problem (try advanced options or proceed to boot to Windows 8.1)
Of course it couldn’t repair anything because there was nothing to repair
I was proceed to boot to Windows.
Then, it cross on my mind, let start Hitman Pro from that hitmanpro.exe on the usb drive.
AND IT STARTED!!!
I have installed HitmanPro on my computer and ran a scan, and of course Hitman Pro found a false positive in JDownloader folder called elevate32.exe (checked on VirusTotal, it is false positive, so I ignore it like I always do) and found one malformation in the registry

Hitman Pro Report LOG

Code:
HitmanPro 3.7.8.207
www.hitmanpro.com

Computer name . . . . : *****-PC
   Windows . . . . . . . : 6.2.0.9200.X86/2    --------- dunno why is this version, Windows 8.1 should be 9.3.9600 ( maybe because usb was created on Windows XP, but it does not make sense, the scan was started on my Windows 8.1)
   User name . . . . . . : *****-PC\*****
   UAC . . . . . . . . . : Enabled
   License . . . . . . . : Trial (30 days left)

Scan date . . . . . . : 2013-10-16 14:59:16
   Scan mode . . . . . . : Normal
   Scan duration . . . . : 3m 53s
   Disk access mode  . . : Direct disk access (SRB)
   Cloud . . . . . . . . : Internet
   Reboot  . . . . . . . : Yes

Threats . . . . . . . : 1
   Traces  . . . . . . . : 1

Objects scanned . . . : 687,729
   Files scanned . . . . : 15,766
   Remnants scanned  . . : 138,406 files / 533,557 keys

Malware _____________________________________________________________________

C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\JDownloader v2.0\tools\Windows\elevate\Elevate32.exe
      Size . . . . . . . : 69,632 bytes
      Age  . . . . . . . : 45.8 days (2013-08-31 18:53:23)
      Entropy  . . . . . : 5.7
      SHA-256  . . . . . : E708FE307DAB49A9FEB9F0CB845C3E13739F9F2BD9FE0B1C1A2AB749B5EFF45F
      Product  . . . . . : Elevate Application
      Publisher  . . . . : Johannes Passing
      Description  . . . : Elevate
      Version  . . . . . : 1.0.0.2894
      Copyright  . . . . : Copyright (C) 2007
    > G Data . . . . . . : Application.Tool.SIB (Engine A)
    > Ikarus . . . . . . : Application.Tool.SIB!IK
      Fuzzy  . . . . . . : 100.0

Malware remnants ____________________________________________________________

Boot Configuration Data (BCD) WinPE mode
   HKLM\BCD00000000\Objects\{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}\Elements\26000022\

So... What the hell is that malformation in the registry above? And what the hell just happened if anyone have a clue?

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Error occurs only because of TDL4 infection, but solution is easy. Open Registry Editor and change the following key:

WRONG = HKLM\BCD00000000\Objects\{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}\Elements\26000022

GOOD = HKLM\BCD00000000\Objects\{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}\Elements\16000020

The BCD key require specific permission, so you might need to set them in order to change update the key.

Source

What i found
thumbupa.gif

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
MalwareVirus said:
Error occurs only because of TDL4 infection, but solution is easy. Open Registry Editor and change the following key:

WRONG = HKLM\BCD00000000\Objects\{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}\Elements\26000022

GOOD = HKLM\BCD00000000\Objects\{0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}\Elements\16000020

The BCD key require specific permission, so you might need to set them in order to change update the key.

Source

What i found
thumbupa.gif

I have already deleted it with HitmanPro and rebooted. Do I need to do this above too?
I cannot remember having botnet on my computer. Believe me I would remember it.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
"I have already deleted it with HitmanPro and rebooted. Do I need to do this above too?"
honestly i don't have too much knowledge of registry but in the article people use to say don't delete registry
in a comment of link i provided,but your situation is different i think but don't mess with registry as i read here too in registry cleaners thread.

Sounds like a good old mess. If by the "HKEY thing" you have removed registry entries that might have made it even worse"
Link

Experts opinion needed here

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
MalwareVirus said:
"I have already deleted it with HitmanPro and rebooted. Do I need to do this above too?"
honestly i don't have too much knowledge of registry but in the article people use to say don't delete registry
in a comment of link i provided,but your situation is different i think but don't mess with registry as i read here too in registry cleaners thread.

Sounds like a good old mess. If by the "HKEY thing" you have removed registry entries that might have made it even worse"
Link

Experts opinion needed here

Anyway, Windows is running fine. HitmanPro is not finding anything anymore. Thank you for your help :)

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
nice to know your window is working fine that all matter if window is running fine than all is well.
Some time HMP gives false positive too.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
UPDATE :

Just for curiosity, I have restored my system from image-backup.
I tried to run Hitman Pro from HDD and again it couldn't run. :D
I have copied Hitman Pro to the usb flash drive and run it from there and everything works fine... o_O
Scanned my computer ... nothing found o_O

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
OK GUYS, I AM CONFUSED LIKE A FAT KID WITH THE SALAD !!!

Now THAT paints quite a picture.

ust for curiosity, I have restored my system from image-backup.
I tried to run Hitman Pro from HDD and again it couldn't run. Big Grin
I have copied Hitman Pro to the usb flash drive and run it from there and everything works fine... o_O
Scanned my computer ... nothing found o_O

Apparently your system image captured some aspect that continues to thwart HMP in that way.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I give 50 kudos for explanation of my situation :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
For some reason the hard drive does not like HMP, or HMP does not like the hard drive. Maybe some kind of cloaked malware is causing this and the author of said malware did not write his/her malicious software in a fashion that would inhibit HMP from running via USB sticks?? The malware was there before you created your recently implemented system image?
Maybe you should monitor "inline hooks" , etc. with PCHunter (formerly XueTr). Just click on the "Ring 0" tab.

I am not trying to make you paranoid. I promise.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I am not trying to make you paranoid. I promise.
:D

- Installed Windows 8.1 Pro
- Updated it
- Installed drivers and programs
- Cleaned it with CCleaner, WiseCleaner
- Defragmented and optimized with Auslogics Disk Defrag
- Created system image

From time to time (one in month or 2 months) and when new (large) Windows updates, new main versions of favorite programs, or drivers comes up I restore my system, update it again with everything that is new and I found it stable and again backup the whole system.

Previous time Hitman Pro didn't want to run and when I run it from USB (thinking that Hitman Pro Kickstart solve my problem) he found some malformation in registry (mentioned in above comments). Now I was curious did the Kickstarter solved my problem or I was supposed to run Hitman Pro from the USB drive in the first place. Guess it was the second one :D
Now Hitman Pro didn't found anything in registry....

Again
9ee1cfb8a4fc259d6ead995189273b85f059c4773614283a94553ef7363dffc7.jpg

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
HitMan Pro "kickstart" is designed specifically for USB, as far as I know.
The regular version of HMP can be utilized either way, but is usually installed on the system hard drive for home users unless they need it to be portable for some reason.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
HitMan Pro "kickstart" is designed specifically for USB, as far as I know.

I know, previously a I had created Hitman Pro Kickstart onto USB drive from another computer, restarted my computer and booted from the USB, nothing special happened. Upon next restart and when system was up I was able to run Hitman Pro from the same USB drive thinking that kickstarter actually solved my problem and I could now open Hitman Pro without any problem.

In fact Kickstarter didn't solve anything, I could run Hitman Pro and then from the usb drive. Just it didn't came up on my mind.

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
BoraMurdar said:
I cannot run HitmanPro for some time, I don't know why :(

I run it. (as admin)
The process starts and then kills itself in a second.

OS fresh installed, all HDD scanned by Malwarebytes, ESET and Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Nothing found.
This started happening a couple of months ago when I moved from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and then to Windows 8.1. HitmanPro cannot run on Windows 8 and 8.1...

Does anyone have a clue what's going on?
Thanks in advance!

If you install Hitman Pro.Alert, another tool of the hitman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.