I just installed Norton in 2021 and I am impressed

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Almost all antivirus/software use auto-renewal... lol. That's not shady. Of course it's an advantage to them, because it's money, but else you'll be unprotected when the license expires.
It does not matter. Multiple EU consumer protection agencies as well as the USA FTC have condemned the practice. The EU and USA courts have even investigated to see if they could file civil suits against av autorenewal.

Just because they do it because it is legal, does not mean that it is either ethically or morally right.

There's enough nag notifications that nobody is going to experience an expired license unless they choose to ignore the incessant alerts.

The monetary rights of the consumer must always come before the profit rights of ANY vendor.

In the USA, the states have enacted laws with strict punishments for av autorenewal that does not comply with their laws. You have to put forth the time and effort to dig deep into the regulations to see that punishments are not trivial - they are quite punitive.

What you are defending is wrong; consumer agencies have said it is wrong and most people think it is wrong.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
It does not matter. Multiple EU consumer protection agencies as well as the USA FTC have condemned the practice. The EU and USA courts have even investigated to see if they could file civil suits against av autorenewal.

Just because they do it because it is legal, does not mean that it is either ethically or morally right.

There's enough nag notifications that nobody is going to experience an expired license unless they choose to ignore the incessant alerts.

The monetary rights of the consumer must always come before the profit rights of ANY vendor.

In the USA, the states have enacted laws with strict punishments for av autorenewal that does not comply with their laws. You have to put forth the time and effort to dig deep into the regulations to see that punishments are not trivial - they are quite punitive.

What you are defending is wrong; consumer agencies have said it is wrong and most people think it is wrong.
Well why Norton havent got sued yet? They are a big company and have been doing for a long time, same as other avs

Reactions: Sorrento

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Well why Norton havent got sued yet? They are a big company and have been doing for a long time, same as other avs

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I love the drama we always have around Norton... LOL

At first, people bashed it because "it's so buggy and heavy!!".
Then, they bashed it because "it's useless and doesn't protect you!!"
Now, seeing how powerful and light it is, they bash it because "they have auto renewal!!" even when you can turn that off

Just use it or don't, do not invent lame excuses to bash products you don't like...

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
One of the few nice things about capitalism, which is what is being complained about, is that you also have the choice to just choose a different product. But, then what would our forums argue about!?
It would be nice to to have the choice about renewing a product`s subscription fee or not.

Thinking about AVG`s tactics here as well as Nortons

Regards Eck:)

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
checked out the trial, not impressed! (hard test of 1000 recent samples)... it didnt complete, strageley halfway through the test something appeared to kill the norton tray icon, but it did come back...
(did this test twice to be sure it wasnt a fluke... Norton seems to get killed both times)
nortonn fail.png

Norton-IDSalerts.jpg

Last edited:

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Norton! I am not going to cry about it. :) Really appreciate kC77 taking the time to test it and see what happened. Gotta be better next time Norton!
the odd thing is that it was doing quite well, then something kills the tray process...... but it does start again a minute or so later.... but the system was well and truly compromised. this was only the trial from the #101 on this thread (if that is the correct installer to be using!) I just installed Norton in 2021 and I am impressed

Reactions: Miyagi
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

checked out the trial, not impressed! (hard test of 1000 recent samples)... it didnt complete, strageley halfway through the test something appeared to kill the norton tray icon, but it did come back...
(did this test twice to be sure it wasnt a fluke... Norton seems to get killed both times)

Did the Norton protection service get terminated, or was it only the tray icon\notifications?

What were the indicators of compromise after your tests (network traffic alone doesn't count; what was done to the system itself)?

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Did the Norton protection service get terminated, or was it only the tray icon\notifications?

What were the indicators of compromise after your tests (network traffic alone doesn't count; what was done to the system itself)?
Hi, I think looking through the test the protection agent must of crashed from the amount of work it was trying to do... I didn't even look into the system, after the amount of stuff that had been running, the only thing any sane person should do at that point is format/reinstall windows.
(also note that that the IDS is detecting but actually blocking that traffic automatically) So whilst norton let the malware run and try to talk, my gateway stopped it & warned me of it (which would of prevented the system communicating to get the payloads)
If there was no IDS there.... the system likely would of been part of a botnet.

my tests are pretty simple & crude....
hammer an av with 1000 fresh malware
anything that blocks it running 100% is a pass (so far defender/avast free/mbam & f-secure safe are the only ones out of what ive tested)

bit def free/kaspaerky free/sophos/norton etc all fail

but dont forget to take my tests with a grain of salt.... they are not realistic.... you are not going to get hit with 1000 malwares one after the other in the space of 10 minutes.... under normal usage norton is probably fine!

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021

I tried to do the free trial last week and had the same result. Norton seemed to be installing, then halfway through the process I briefly saw the GUI and then the whole thing crashed. I tried again and it took me to a page to log in and asked for a credit card for the "free trial" . No thanks. For the last week I have been on Avast One Essential, which really is 100% free, it works fine, has a few useful extra tools in addition to the AV and has not put any pressure on me to upgrade to any paid options.

C.H.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.