I just installed Norton in 2021 and I am impressed

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

You are right about the first point. I don't speak basic English, I don't live in an English country, sorry if you misunderstood.

For Avira, I can understand, but as I said, their module came after the buyout by Norton.
That's why I pointed that out, do you understand now with my explanation?
I think bloatware of any kind is a bad practice. It is about marketing and generating revenue more than doing something really useful security-wise for the end user.

However, I understand your point about Avira following Norton's lead. It is a legit discussion. I hope the crypto mining module doesn't become a trend. Yikes!

• Applause
Reactions: Shadowra

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
There is one thing I don't understand and I want to point it out.

I can understand those who do not approve of Norton's inclusion of crypto-mining in the antivirus. This is not the function of a security software, and that I understand.

But, I don't understand why boycott or even bash Norton? Avira does it too, and nobody talks about it...
Especially since Norton went back on its decision, Avira did not say anything (except that it will be disabled by default)

About their "scam" advertising Norton is getting burned, but I remind you that McAfee does it too :)

A little rant, but that had to be said :)

Just for curiosity's sake Norton bought Avira, only after that the crypto-mining started there, the reason that "nobody" talks about it is because most people dont care about Avira at all.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Nobody is bashing Norton. On these forums, even the slightest of legit criticism is called out as bashing.

This is about Norton, not Avira. Bringing Avira into this discussion is whataboutism. Avira is used by barely anyone here as it is just not that popular.

Norton has not removed the crypto mining module. It has only stated it will disable it by default.

Norton, like the others, cramming all the bloatware modules they can into their products as a means to attract all those neophytes that think "more modules means much better." It is not about delivering a secruity-focused product. It is about marketing and generating revenue via shady practices - a fair criticism that has been leveled against all these main stream security software vendors for the past 30 years.

Norton's most egregious practice is requiring a credit card to use their trials. That practice is just plain consumer abuse.
Norton has removed the cryptomining-related software, unless you opt in to using Norton Crypto.

• +Reputation
Reactions: SeriousHoax

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
To get back to Norton, I have it on trial now.
I won't say what I think about it on VM, but on another PC other than mine.

I won't talk about the detection either, because I'm not testing malware on this PC.
But surprisingly... Surfshark has been detected as a PUA o_O
Its firewall also blocked the connection... I had to allow it...

And another point : It forces me to install its extensions... SOMETHING I DON'T WANT !!!

Norton / Surfshark users have also encountered this problem ?

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Bummer I had a feeling that was the case. Wish they would do away with those extensions.
Installing a browser extension beats installing a browser certificate to Man in the Middle your https traffic.

I could be wrong, but I think that is the whole rationale of using the browser extensions (like Emsisoft does). Maybe someone else knows better, but AFAIK Norton does not MitM https traffic, not even for https email traffic.

Perhaps someone that knows Norton internals a lot better can confirm what exactly Norton does as far as https scanning.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Any recommended settings for Norton or defaults are fine?
You really don't need to tweak it. Default is extremely complete and solid. If you wish, you could set some modules like SONAR to "aggressive" but this will definitely increase false positives.

Default is strong and has never failed me.

their crypto miner is very bad, it waste a lot of power and produce a lot of heat for less profit. It's hard to earn it back.

I agree. I disabled it because it's unusable for me. I have a bit of heating problems (nothing to do with Norton), I need to replace the thermal paste. But using Norton's cryptominer is impossible, it literally makes my heating issue 100% worse to the point where my whole system crashes and the PC turns off.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
their crypto miner is very bad, it waste a lot of power and produce a lot of heat for less profit. It's hard to earn it back.
I was making a joke, I don’t like av that crypto mine, that’s really so lousy. For me Norton, Kaspersky and those giants in the AV are not done anymore.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
You really don't need to tweak it. Default is extremely complete and solid. If you wish, you could set some modules like SONAR to "aggressive" but this will definitely increase false positives.

Default is strong and has never failed me.

I agree. I disabled it because it's unusable for me. I have a bit of heating problems (nothing to do with Norton), I need to replace the thermal paste. But using Norton's cryptominer is impossible, it literally makes my heating issue 100% worse to the point where my whole system crashes and the PC turns off.
You were really using this so called feature ?
Omg… speechless

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I will never try out Norton when they are requiring a credit card to use their trials. :mad:

Also never used. Among other things, because of how you write.
Maybe someday when it changes and I look for some AV, I'll be tempted

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.