I just installed Norton in 2021 and I am impressed

Miyagi

Level 1
Verified
Jul 7, 2013
Still waiting for them to send the key. You can get an additional $5 off using this coupon code: MISSYOU5

Also, if anyone is using a Norton Core router, they just announced $200 Best Buy Gift Card credit. :)

Reactions: Trooper

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Last edited:

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Still waiting for them to send the key. You can get an additional $5 off using this coupon code: MISSYOU5

Also, if anyone is using a Norton Core router, they just announced $200 Best Buy Gift Card credit. :)
Thanks for the heads up. Wonder why the delay in sending the key? :unsure:

EDIT: Those are some nice deals @BigWrench

Last edited:

Miyagi

Level 1
Verified
Jul 7, 2013
@Trooper: You're welcome. :) On the Woot's deal page, it noted this:

ATTENTION: Your redemption code will be delivered as tracking number within a few business days. You will receive your serial number(s) to authorize and register your product as your tracking number.

You’ll receive a redemption code (an alphanumeric serial number) allowing you to instantly download the program for your device. Requires a Mac or PC desktop or laptop computer, iOS, or Android Device. Internet connection required for activation.

Looks like the deal just expired. :eek: SOLD OUT.

@BigWrench: Good deal! You always posted good deals here at MT. (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

The credit card required to obtain the trial version is not an acceptable practice. It is because of this and the cryptocurrency module (I don't care that it can be disabled) that I will not use Norton.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
There is one thing I don't understand and I want to point it out.

I can understand those who do not approve of Norton's inclusion of crypto-mining in the antivirus. This is not the function of a security software, and that I understand.

But, I don't understand why boycott or even bash Norton? Avira does it too, and nobody talks about it...
Especially since Norton went back on its decision, Avira did not say anything (except that it will be disabled by default)

About their "scam" advertising Norton is getting burned, but I remind you that McAfee does it too :)

A little rant, but that had to be said :)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018

I can understand those who do not approve of Norton's inclusion of crypto-mining in the antivirus. This is not the function of a security software, and that I understand.

But, I don't understand why boycott or even bash Norton? Avira does it too, and nobody talks about it...
Especially since Norton went back on its decision, Avira did not say anything (except that it will be disabled by default)

About their "scam" advertising Norton is getting burned, but I remind you that McAfee does it too :)

A little rant, but that had to be said :)
I don’t use Norton , McAfee or Avira or any AV with crypto mining . For me av should be pure av

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Nobody is bashing Norton. On these forums, even the slightest of legit criticism is called out as bashing.

This is about Norton, not Avira. Bringing Avira into this discussion is whataboutism. Avira is used by barely anyone here as it is just not that popular.

Norton has not removed the crypto mining module. It has only stated it will disable it by default.

Norton, like the others, cramming all the bloatware modules they can into their products as a means to attract all those neophytes that think "more modules means much better." It is not about delivering a secruity-focused product. It is about marketing and generating revenue via shady practices - a fair criticism that has been leveled against all these main stream security software vendors for the past 30 years.

Norton's most egregious practice is requiring a credit card to use their trials. That practice is just plain consumer abuse.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Nobody is bashing Norton. On these forums, even the slightest of legit criticism is called out as bashing.

This is about Norton, not Avira. Bringing Avira into this discussion is whataboutism. Avira is used by barely anyone here as it is just not that popular.

Norton has not removed the crypto mining module. It has only stated it will disable it by default.

Norton, like the others, cramming all the bloatware modules they can into their products as a means to attract all those neophytes that think "more modules means much better." It is not about delivering a secruity-focused product. It is about marketing and generating revenue via shady practices - a fair criticism that has been leveled against all these main stream security software vendors for the past 30 years.

Norton's most egregious practice is requiring a credit card to use their trials. That practice is just plain consumer abuse.

I think you misread :)

I never said that Norton was deleting the service. Just that it leaves the choice to the user to activate and use it.
At no time did I say that they removed it. I advise you to read again :)

Then, hypocrisy? Avira has been bought by NortonLifeLock :)
It's the same system as Norton, so it's normal that I talk about it.

Reactions: Burrito and Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

I think you misread :)

I never said that Norton was deleting the service. Just that it leaves the choice to the user to activate and use it.
At no time did I say that they removed it. I advise you to read again :)
Please go back and read what you posted. That is not what you said. You said that Norton "reversed its decision" without any further detail. In English, that means that they chose to remove the module. That would be the interpretation that most native speaking English people would arrive at.

So I was just going by what your prior post means to most native English speaking peoples.

Then, hypocrisy? Avira has been bought by NortonLifeLock :)
It's the same system as Norton, so it's normal that I talk about it.
Avira might be owned by Symantec, but this thread is about Norton. I could care less what Norton does with Avira. Just because Avira is doing it has nothing to do with Norton. Norton might own Avira, but Avira runs independently of Norton with its own senior management calling the shots.

Any crypto module is just piling more garbage onto their already bloated product.

Reactions: Nevi and Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Please go back and read what you posted. That is not what you said. You said that Norton "reversed its decision" without any further detail. In English, that means that they chose to remove the module. That would be the interpretation that most native speaking English people would arrive at.

So I was just going by what your prior post means to most native English speaking peoples.

Avira might be owned by Symantec, but this thread is about Norton. I could care less what Norton does with Avira. Just because Avira is doing it has nothing to do with Norton. Norton might own Avira, but Avira runs independently of Norton with its own senior management calling the shots.

Any crypto module is just piling more garbage onto their already bloated product.

You are right about the first point. I don't speak basic English, I don't live in an English country, sorry if you misunderstood.

For Avira, I can understand, but as I said, their module came after the buyout by Norton.
That's why I pointed that out, do you understand now with my explanation?

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.