RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I will never try out Norton when they are requiring a credit card to use their trials. :mad:
I don't like this practice either, but Norton is not the only security giant that does this. Another great example is AVG/AVAST. If you want to try the premium versions, you must first enter your credit card. In neither cases must you pay to test it, you can always cancel before the trial ends and you won't be charged at all.

You were really using this so called feature ?
Omg… speechless
Of course I tried it, why wouldn't I? I am a paid user, it would be dumb of me not to test all the modules they offer, and see which I need and which I don't.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I run out of Arcabit license so I will think about Norton. As of today, I do not want to remove and install a new protection.
But I will remember you ;)

Reactions: Trooper and RoboMan

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I don't like this practice either, but Norton is not the only security giant that does this. Another great example is AVG/AVAST. If you want to try the premium versions, you must first enter your credit card. In neither cases must you pay to test it, you can always cancel before the trial ends and you won't be charged at all.

Of course I tried it, why wouldn't I? I am a paid user, it would be dumb of me not to test all the modules they offer, and see which I need and which I don't.
Two wrongs does not make one right. I never give away my credit card to anybody if I am not ready to pay. We might ask Norton, "why don't you let us try your "trials" without us giving away our credit card info?" :rolleyes:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Two wrongs does not make one right. I never give away my credit card to anybody if I am not ready to pay. We might ask Norton, "why don't you let us try your "trials" without us giving away our credit card info?" :rolleyes:
it. might be used to prevent trial abuse, for example use a 'resetter' to grain infinity trials. Norton loves money they aren't letting you do that.

Reactions: RoboMan and Trooper

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I understand your point. Unluckily, it's just their commercial strategy, and I believe it must work for them if they keep doing it. There's nothing "wrong" either with it, it's a common practice. Norton doesn't sell software, they sell a service, a security service. And many services use this strategy, for example, Netflix and most streaming services.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I understand your point. Unluckily, it's just their commercial strategy, and I believe it must work for them if they keep doing it. There's nothing "wrong" either with it, it's a common practice. Norton doesn't sell software, they sell a service, a security service. And many services use this strategy, for example, Netflix and most streaming services.
Norton sells software that they serve, it does not matter what their product is, it is their sneaky way of doing it. But it is up to everyone whether they want to try their trials and provide their credit card information. That others also pursue this policy does not make it better, the public should say no, then they would have stopped doing this.

Reactions: micasayyo

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Norton sells software that they serve, it does not matter what their product is, it is their sneaky way of doing it. But it is up to everyone whether they want to try their trials and provide their credit card information. That others also pursue this policy does not make it better, the public should say no, then they would have stopped doing this.
The main issue here is that you're treating a commercial strategy as something outrageous, which is not. It's their policy. There's nothing shady or illegal. It's a common practice. You might not like it. It doesn't mean it's wrong.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
The main issue here is that you're treating a commercial strategy as something outrageous, which is not. It's their policy. There's nothing shady or illegal. It's a common practice. You might not like it. It doesn't mean it's wrong.
true if you don't like it get over it and use something else, it's Norton's decision nothing wrong with it

Reactions: RoboMan and Miyagi

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Now, I did not call Norton's sales methods "outrageous". I wrote it was "a sneaky way of doing it". I have been in sales for many years so I know the methods used. That does not mean I like all the methods used even if it is not illegal. If you are sure of your product, then you dare let the customer try it without requiring access to their credit card, but again, if you think this is a decent sales method, it's fine with me. The ones who benefit from customers not being critical are the companies that sell the products. ;)

Reactions: micasayyo

Miyagi

Level 1
Verified
Jul 7, 2013
I love Norton 360! It runs quietly and the temperature of my PC stays cooler than others. :) Snappier too. I know Norton's protection is top notch based on tests I read. Nothing is perfect, but I think Norton provides the most value - price, performance, detection, VPN, etc. Yeah, there are various modules but you can just disable them and not affect the performance.

Like Roboman's setting, I keep SONAR Advanced Mode as Aggressive. I turned off Full System Scan, uncheck all the Task Scheduling, Idle Time Optimizer off, Report Card off, Search Shortcut Key off, Norton Task Notification off, and Special Offer Notification off. Had only 1 pop up after installation. So far no pop-ups.

As for crypto mining, this is going to be a long debate. I don't really care. For credit card info, I entered and removed it after.

F-Secure and ESET are my next choices if Norton makes me angry! ;) Have a good day everyone.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Auto-renewal and other such "policies" have been condemned as unacceptable and shady by consumer protection agencies across the world. The average person walking down the street thinks such practices are not transparent and wrong.

Just because it is legal does not make it ethically or morally right.

The only way to stop software companies from using these shady practices is both complain and boycott.

Reactions: franz and micasayyo

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Auto-renewal and other such "policies" have been condemned as unacceptable and shady by consumer protection agencies across the world. The average person walking down the street thinks such practices are not transparent and wrong.

Just because it is legal does not make it ethically or morally right.

The only way to stop software companies from using these shady practices is both complain and boycott.
Almost all antivirus/software use auto-renewal... lol. That's not shady. Of course it's an advantage to them, because it's money, but else you'll be unprotected when the license expires.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I have a link for the trial version with no credit card required 😉
I've tried Norton for a few hours now, and it's light on my system. Norton is also an easy-to-understand program. It's lightning fast when it scans my disks, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the program behaves after a few days. I am used to f-secure and Kaspersky's bank protection, and do not see any ring around my browsers, therefore I do not know if Norton's is working? Does anybody know?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I've tried Norton for a few hours now, and it's light on my system. Norton is also an easy-to-understand program. It's lightning fast when it scans my disks, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the program behaves after a few days. I am used to f-secure and Kaspersky's bank protection, and do not see any ring around my browsers, therefore I do not know if Norton's is working? Does anybody know?

I believe that Norton does not have this function

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
I decided to test Norton on my 2nd laptop it seems lighter than last time I used it a few year ago the system seems a bit slower than when I had F-secure on it, got one issue since installing Norton WireGuard isn't connecting anymore.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.