I just installed Norton in 2021 and I am impressed

Norton
149 Replies 29,896 Views
I will never try out Norton when they are requiring a credit card to use their trials. :mad:
I don't like this practice either, but Norton is not the only security giant that does this. Another great example is AVG/AVAST. If you want to try the premium versions, you must first enter your credit card. In neither cases must you pay to test it, you can always cancel before the trial ends and you won't be charged at all.

You were really using this so called feature ?
Omg… speechless
Of course I tried it, why wouldn't I? I am a paid user, it would be dumb of me not to test all the modules they offer, and see which I need and which I don't.
 
I don't like this practice either, but Norton is not the only security giant that does this. Another great example is AVG/AVAST. If you want to try the premium versions, you must first enter your credit card. In neither cases must you pay to test it, you can always cancel before the trial ends and you won't be charged at all.


Of course I tried it, why wouldn't I? I am a paid user, it would be dumb of me not to test all the modules they offer, and see which I need and which I don't.
Two wrongs does not make one right. I never give away my credit card to anybody if I am not ready to pay. We might ask Norton, "why don't you let us try your "trials" without us giving away our credit card info?" :rolleyes:
 
Two wrongs does not make one right. I never give away my credit card to anybody if I am not ready to pay. We might ask Norton, "why don't you let us try your "trials" without us giving away our credit card info?" :rolleyes:
it. might be used to prevent trial abuse, for example use a 'resetter' to grain infinity trials. Norton loves money they aren't letting you do that.
 
Two wrongs does not make one right. I never give away my credit card to anybody if I am not ready to pay. We might ask Norton, "why don't you let us try your "trials" without us giving away our credit card info?" :rolleyes:
I understand your point. Unluckily, it's just their commercial strategy, and I believe it must work for them if they keep doing it. There's nothing "wrong" either with it, it's a common practice. Norton doesn't sell software, they sell a service, a security service. And many services use this strategy, for example, Netflix and most streaming services.
 
I understand your point. Unluckily, it's just their commercial strategy, and I believe it must work for them if they keep doing it. There's nothing "wrong" either with it, it's a common practice. Norton doesn't sell software, they sell a service, a security service. And many services use this strategy, for example, Netflix and most streaming services.
Norton sells software that they serve, it does not matter what their product is, it is their sneaky way of doing it. But it is up to everyone whether they want to try their trials and provide their credit card information. That others also pursue this policy does not make it better, the public should say no, then they would have stopped doing this.
 
Norton sells software that they serve, it does not matter what their product is, it is their sneaky way of doing it. But it is up to everyone whether they want to try their trials and provide their credit card information. That others also pursue this policy does not make it better, the public should say no, then they would have stopped doing this.
The main issue here is that you're treating a commercial strategy as something outrageous, which is not. It's their policy. There's nothing shady or illegal. It's a common practice. You might not like it. It doesn't mean it's wrong.
 
The main issue here is that you're treating a commercial strategy as something outrageous, which is not. It's their policy. There's nothing shady or illegal. It's a common practice. You might not like it. It doesn't mean it's wrong.
true if you don't like it get over it and use something else, it's Norton's decision nothing wrong with it
 
The main issue here is that you're treating a commercial strategy as something outrageous, which is not. It's their policy. There's nothing shady or illegal. It's a common practice. You might not like it. It doesn't mean it's wrong.
Now, I did not call Norton's sales methods "outrageous". I wrote it was "a sneaky way of doing it". I have been in sales for many years so I know the methods used. That does not mean I like all the methods used even if it is not illegal. If you are sure of your product, then you dare let the customer try it without requiring access to their credit card, but again, if you think this is a decent sales method, it's fine with me. The ones who benefit from customers not being critical are the companies that sell the products. ;)
 
I love Norton 360! It runs quietly and the temperature of my PC stays cooler than others. :) Snappier too. I know Norton's protection is top notch based on tests I read. Nothing is perfect, but I think Norton provides the most value - price, performance, detection, VPN, etc. Yeah, there are various modules but you can just disable them and not affect the performance.

Like Roboman's setting, I keep SONAR Advanced Mode as Aggressive. I turned off Full System Scan, uncheck all the Task Scheduling, Idle Time Optimizer off, Report Card off, Search Shortcut Key off, Norton Task Notification off, and Special Offer Notification off. Had only 1 pop up after installation. So far no pop-ups.

As for crypto mining, this is going to be a long debate. I don't really care. For credit card info, I entered and removed it after.

F-Secure and ESET are my next choices if Norton makes me angry! ;) Have a good day everyone.
 
I understand your point. Unluckily, it's just their commercial strategy, and I believe it must work for them if they keep doing it. There's nothing "wrong" either with it, it's a common practice. Norton doesn't sell software, they sell a service, a security service. And many services use this strategy, for example, Netflix and most streaming services.
Auto-renewal and other such "policies" have been condemned as unacceptable and shady by consumer protection agencies across the world. The average person walking down the street thinks such practices are not transparent and wrong.

Just because it is legal does not make it ethically or morally right.

The only way to stop software companies from using these shady practices is both complain and boycott.
 
Auto-renewal and other such "policies" have been condemned as unacceptable and shady by consumer protection agencies across the world. The average person walking down the street thinks such practices are not transparent and wrong.

Just because it is legal does not make it ethically or morally right.

The only way to stop software companies from using these shady practices is both complain and boycott.
Almost all antivirus/software use auto-renewal... lol. That's not shady. Of course it's an advantage to them, because it's money, but else you'll be unprotected when the license expires.
 
I have a link for the trial version with no credit card required 😉
I've tried Norton for a few hours now, and it's light on my system. Norton is also an easy-to-understand program. It's lightning fast when it scans my disks, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the program behaves after a few days. I am used to f-secure and Kaspersky's bank protection, and do not see any ring around my browsers, therefore I do not know if Norton's is working? Does anybody know?
 
I've tried Norton for a few hours now, and it's light on my system. Norton is also an easy-to-understand program. It's lightning fast when it scans my disks, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the program behaves after a few days. I am used to f-secure and Kaspersky's bank protection, and do not see any ring around my browsers, therefore I do not know if Norton's is working? Does anybody know?

I believe that Norton does not have this function
 
I decided to test Norton on my 2nd laptop it seems lighter than last time I used it a few year ago the system seems a bit slower than when I had F-secure on it, got one issue since installing Norton WireGuard isn't connecting anymore.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top