I just installed Norton in 2021 and I am impressed

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I am trying out Norton as an experiment, so see how it compares with Kaspersky.

I think the level of protection offered is probably among the best (perhaps the very best) given the large market share of this company and the number of malware samples they can collect and analyse. This is reflected in the usually excellent AV test results.

However, I am not happy...

Firstly, Norton is not as easy to configure than Kaspersky and the user interface is not as nice.

Secondly (and my main complaint) is the billing practices of Norton.
They insist on credit card details being entered (even if you have a retail licence key and have already paid for your subscription). It is not made entirely clear that you are then entering into a subscription, where they will automatically charge your credit card in 12 months time for the full retail cost of the software- which is at an inflated price. Although you an cancel this, it is turned ON by default and forces the user to actively cancel it, with the cancel option hidden away. As if they are trying to trick their customers.

I was so annoyed that i asked for all my account to be closed and for all my personal data to be deleted in accordance with European GDPR law. This turned out to be a very difficult process. I sent an email to their privacy team in Dublin who told me to contact online chat support. The online support refused to action my request (after 15 minutes of me waiting for them to speak to their supervisor). I then emailed the privacy team for a second time, reminding them it was European law and they sent me a form to fill out but said that they couldn't promise to delete all of my data- even though its law to do so. I am still waiting for this to be actioned.

Combined with the shady billing practices, Norton is not a company I want to do business with.

I'm going back to Kaspersky. No problem with their software, billing or customer support. I find them far more trustworthy,

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

I think the level of protection offered is probably among the best (perhaps the very best) given the large market share of this company and the number of malware samples they can collect and analyse. This is reflected in the usually excellent AV test results.

Firstly, Norton is not as easy to configure than Kaspersky and the user interface is not as nice.

They insist on credit card details being entered (even if you have a retail licence key and have already paid for your subscription). It is not made entirely clear that you are then entering into a subscription, where they will automatically charge your credit card in 12 months time for the full retail cost of the software- which is at an inflated price. Although you an cancel this, it is turned ON by default and forces the user to actively cancel it, with the cancel option hidden away. As if they are trying to trick their customers.

I was so annoyed that i asked for all my account to be closed and for all my personal data to be deleted in accordance with European GDPR law. This turned out to be a very difficult process. I sent an email to their privacy team in Dublin who told me to contact online chat support. The online support refused to action my request (after 15 minutes of me waiting for them to speak to their supervisor). I then emailed the privacy team for a second time, reminding them it was European law and they sent me a form to fill out but said that they couldn't promise to delete all of my data- even though its law to do so. I am still waiting for this to be actioned.

Combined with the shady billing practices, Norton is not a company I want to do business with.

I'm going back to Kaspersky. No problem with their software, billing or customer support. I find them far more trustworthy,

The concern of automatic renewal is with everyone, even Kaspersky and Bitdefender.

On the other hand, yes, asking for a credit card for a trial version, I find it absurd...

In terms of protection, Norton is excellent, I even send them droppers when I come across them, but SONAR catches up pretty quickly.

But, as you knew, Norton is tainted because of Norton crypto (fortunately, it can be deactivated)

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

Sad to see you having such a negative experience. I think we must clearly separate both billing and security experience. The "auto-renewal" thing is something with most paid suscriptions, everywhere, wether it's antivirus or regular software. Paying for a trial... although I don't agree, it's not "uncommon". Another big player that does this is AVG/Avast.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I love reading these threads, when it is a positive experience/review there are always others who had a disappointing experience or have negative opinion towards the product posted and the reverse when someone posts a negative review/opinion.

For most users the security software which works silently and seamlessly is the best, while we (nerds) can lose ourselves in discussing pro's and con's of features and function on a square millimeter (yes that detailed) (y)(y)(y) 😊😊😊

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I just renewed my Norton 360 deluxe license for 10€ and asked support to add the days to my remaining days. Now have 533 days to go.

The license is 5 devices one year. Norton is so light and the protection is still super.

Let’s try Norton again 😀

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Interesting price...
At that price it's a gift 😁

I have it by the way on a dedicated virtual machine, way I have fun pushing it to its limits, see other :)

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
something very interesting about the Norton subscription that I forgot to mention. If it is a 3rd party reseller( I bought it on staples) you could go to their page where you could upgrade leagancy products like Norton security to Norton 360. I found out that with a 3rd party license it will think it's a leagancy product and you can keep upgrading it until Norton a 20 device 250gb plan

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I uninstalled Norton , mainly because they don’t care about GDPR, the crypto mining and constantly need to log in , almost every day the case. As posted in other thread I went back to European AV, G-Data.

I had said so but Norton has gone back on its decision and leaves the choice to the user

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Norton as a product is TOP NOTCH. Life lock support is crap. I had an 3yr Standard license purchased from amazon. Somehow forgot that 26/28 line code and wanted to register in my new system , but did provide that mail key was initially registered to and activated with + Invoice purchase proof + MAC ID of previous system + 2 mail ID's of mine (not sure so given)

They investigated for about 3 months, with regular follow up , after a bluemoon their response was key is purchased from a 3rd party seller not authorised directly from norton / or from Norton site. Please reach out to seller for the same

-> OH, yes then ban any 3rd party sellers over all the E-commerce platforms so user's won't be able to buy.

CRAP !. IN case of genuine cases and evidences KEY should be provided. Also that product was only ACTIVE on 1 system (They already should have verified by MAC ID i have provided)

Disappointed !!!!!!

Last edited:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Norton as a product is TOP NOTCH. Life lock support is crap. I had an 3yr Standard license purchased from amazon. Somehow forgot that 26/28 line code and wanted to register in my new system , but did provide that mail key was initially registered to and activated with + Invoice purchase proof + MAC ID of previous system + 2 mail ID's of mine (not sure so given)

They investigated for about 3 months, with regular follow up , after a bluemoon their response was key is purchased from a 3rd party seller not authorised directly from norton / or from Norton site. Please reach out to seller for the same

-> OH, yes then ban any 3rd party sellers over all the E-commerce platforms so user's won't be able to buy.

CRAP !. IN case of genuine cases and evidences KEY should be provided. Also that product was only ACTIVE on 1 system (They already should have verified by MAC ID i have provided)

Disappointed !!!!!!
Norton 360 standard is only for one device tho

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.