Advice Request I just installed Windows 10 after using Windows 11 since its early beta

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
After running Windows 11 beta since its leaded build on my unsupported PC, which I made in 2016 with great hardware available that time.
Now I am back to Windows 10 Pro 64bit. And just after installing Windows 10, I did run InControl to be able to keep my Windows version at 20H2.
A friend told me 20H2 is more stable than 21H1.
Anyone here agreeing with that?

1650207177760.png

Now, running Windows 10, I see most of Windows 11 is eye candy. I noticed that the taskbar in 11 did glow more, which I didn't like.
I like the look and feel of menus, ribbon in the file explorer, right click menu, right click menu in the Edge stable even looks better than in Windows 11.
Taskbar small icon,
No more garbage (Show more options) in the right click menu.

He is right, Dmitry Novoselov:

"Windows 11 sucks. All the UI changes and yet it still feels disjointed in many aspects. Give me my 7zip right click function and not “sHoW mORE oPtioNS” ffs"

"Also, the drag to taskbar is missing, which is a HUGE blow to productivity. I know there are workarounds but I don't want to mess in registry or install some 3rd party app for a function that has existed for years."
A: yeah that was a WTF moment for me immediately. You can right click and set the taskbar shortcut BUT WHY??? complicating for the sake of being new i guess.

Windows 10 has support till 2025, then if until that time they brought back all the real working functionality, like the current Taskbar in Windows 10, ribbon in File Explorer, into Windows 11, I will move to Windows 1 in that time.
Right now, I will surely stick to 10 and will also explain to my friends, classmates, and colleagues why not move to 11 at this time.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You are def. not alone in this. I installed 11 back at the end of June 2021 with a bootleg ISO. Ran extremely well regardless until I had a corruption in a fairly new nvm-e. Replaced it and installed Windows 10 again to get a sense of comparison and...haven't left 10 since. Both have been stable for me, about equally.

I ended up installing Windows 11 on another spare drive so that I could jump back and forth and the more I compared, the less I ended up actually liking Windows 11. It's not anything specific-- it's just a general feeling. Each new small disappointment in features, in UI changes, whatever, gets amplified into this real dislike.

I'll def. keep evaluating it, though-- I'll run it maybe a few hours a month. I may even configure a dual-boot, I don't know yet. But it's not my cup of tea and this is after some honest, long-term effort. I'll wait for Windows 12, it would be its turn to be the halfway decent OS anyway.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
;) Yes, I am always def and cocky when it comes wanting something badly in the first place.

I also forgot to mention that the rounded corners in Windows 11, I don't like them anymore. Most real applications don't even have rounded corners in Windows 11.
Windows 11 is all about eye candy and rounded corners, not much, no real change under the hood.
Legit YouTubers like Ask Leo and ThioJoe said that there is no compelling reason to move or upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10, now.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Personally, I really like Windows 11.
But please don't use programs like InControl.
Windows 10 20H2 will be end of life soon.
You should upgrade to 21H1.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I like others installed 11 preview last June - I really thought it would be short time as it was a very early build, it turned out to be the most stable beta or earlier of any Windows I've tried, I was most impressed with it - I ran the dev/beta channel until this February where I did a clean install - IMO 11 is the most stable & intuitive OS I've ever used, really pleased with it & no chance of returning to 10 - Goes to show how our personal wants & needs are so different & there is no right & wrong :):)

marcopaone

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 15, 2016
Someone tells Dmitry Novoselov that he can use the default legacy menu.

Btw I like Windows 11 and anyway I will use it since it is perfect for my CPU (12th gen intel).
Cannot wait to see the next major update and honestly when I see Windows 10 it seems so old despite using it until recently.

Last edited:

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
After running Windows 11 beta since its leaded build on my unsupported PC, which I made in 2016 with great hardware available that time.
Now I am back to Windows 10 Pro 64bit. And just after installing Windows 10, I did run InControl to be able to keep my Windows version at 20H2.
A friend told me 20H2 is more stable than 21H1.
Anyone here agreeing with that?

View attachment 265946

Now, running Windows 10, I see most of Windows 11 is eye candy. I noticed that the taskbar in 11 did glow more, which I didn't like.
I like the look and feel of menus, ribbon in the file explorer, right click menu, right click menu in the Edge stable even looks better than in Windows 11.
Taskbar small icon,
No more garbage (Show more options) in the right click menu.

He is right, Dmitry Novoselov:

"Windows 11 sucks. All the UI changes and yet it still feels disjointed in many aspects. Give me my 7zip right click function and not “sHoW mORE oPtioNS” ffs"

"Also, the drag to taskbar is missing, which is a HUGE blow to productivity. I know there are workarounds but I don't want to mess in registry or install some 3rd party app for a function that has existed for years."
A: yeah that was a WTF moment for me immediately. You can right click and set the taskbar shortcut BUT WHY??? complicating for the sake of being new i guess.

Windows 10 has support till 2025, then if until that time they brought back all the real working functionality, like the current Taskbar in Windows 10, ribbon in File Explorer, into Windows 11, I will move to Windows 1 in that time.
Right now, I will surely stick to 10 and will also explain to my friends, classmates, and colleagues why not move to 11 at this time.

I think for me this is your personal opinion and no reason to tell your friends, classmates and collegues not to update to Windows 11.
The chance is they maybe love the changes and dont wanna go back to Windows 10.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I think for me this is your personal opinion and no reason to tell your friends, classmates and collegues not to update to Windows 11.
The chance is they maybe love the changes and dont wanna go back to Windows 10.
I am telling them its is not necessary to do so. I am also telling them the caveats. Just that. Most of them have unsupported hardware.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The point is: it's about those who installed Windows 11 and reverted to 10 for whatever reason/s. Not a symphony for the wonders of Windows 11.

Windows 11 is a product, like Cheez=Whiz. You love it--that's great.

I don't--that's OK too. I don't even have to give a specific reason, just the fact that I ran it daily for over six months and reverted to 10 voluntarily. That could change in the future, who knows or cares. And again: both are exceedingly stable for me. Windows 11 really surprised me initially in that regard. But sometimes, these things just don't work out.

No one should have to apologize or explain themselves in these matters, if there are no false-hoods or misinformation spread around.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
The point is: it's about those who installed Windows 11 and reverted to 10 for whatever reason/s. Not a symphony for the wonders of Windows 11.

Windows 11 is a product, like Cheez=Whiz. You love it--that's great.

I don't--that's OK too. I don't even have to give a specific reason, just the fact that I ran it daily for over six months and reverted to 10 voluntarily. That could change in the future, who knows or cares. And again: both are exceedingly stable for me. Windows 11 really surprised me initially in that regard. But sometimes, these things just don't work out.

No one should have to apologize or explain themselves in these matters, if there are no false-hoods or misinformation spread around.
Exactly, it is a product, one that I use to access the internet, I don't care what it looks like or any other of the small stuff some people get lathered up about.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
"I think the performance difference is minimal between Windows 10 and 11, Windows 11 will bring enhancements later, if memory serves, such as the direct storage API that allows direct PCIe transfers from let’s say the GPU and the SSD, but it only works with very recent, high-end hardware, and the performance gain will only be noticed on such hardware anyway. Since you don’t play games or do AI research or such kind of stuff that heavily relies on GPU power, you would probably not see a difference."

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I ran Win 11 for a few months, then reverted to Win 10 21H2, mainly because my processor isn't supported by Win11, and because I could see no compelling reasons to use 11, and I've no issues with this version of 10.

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
For me the current state of W11 is similar to what happened when W10 was released. It was promising, but it needs some time to mature and become a fully grown and stable product.

My best guess is that by 22H2 we will already have a "good enough" replacement for W10. For me, W10 is still a better choice. In fact I replaced my LTSC 1809 for LTSC 21H2 and I feel my LTSC 1809 ran better without less issues and I am even thinking on switching back to LTSC 1809, because it was rocket stable. Surpringsily enough, I have also tried a fully debloated Pro 21H2 and has felt somewhat more stable than LTSC, which is quite strange...

All in all is a matter of trial-and-error and personal likings... If you feel better on W10 just use that... If you feel better on W11, use it!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.