I need an Internet Security product

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've never heard about FortiClient. What can you say about it mate?

It's a good, light, free solution. While the interface lacks many deep options you can dump the config to an XML and take a deeper dive into what it offers. The new version 5.6 offers some advanced threat protection, malware communication vector blocking and some other stuff.

IF you have a Fortigate Appliance on your network you get 10 free licenses to the 'updated/paid' version of Forticlient. This version unlocks compliance checks, vulnerability scans, sandbox scanning, enhanced signatures and control of endpoints.

Both versions have a nice clean interface and what seems to amount to zero impact on system performance. Also, speaking from experience, Fortinet is probably the fastest AV firm to respond to submissions in existence. Usually they respond to be with a signature update within 1-15 minutes.

Normal Submission is here;
Online Virus Scanner & Submission

Rapid Response Submissions is here; (send them archived threads, no password)
submitvirus@fortinet.com

Forticlient.png

Here's the full instruction book to Forticlient;
Fortinet Docs Library - FortiClient 5.6.0 Administration Guide

Last edited by a moderator:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
I think Avast Free is light and offers good protection. My other favorites would be SecureAPlus, Windows Defender and Quihoo360. :)

the op is looking for paid protection suites.

I've never heard about FortiClient. What can you say about it mate?

if i may add to what @ForgottenSeer 58943 has stated about fortinet, they also have a good reputation when it comes to endpoint security.

I need advice on an Internet Security product to replace Windows defender on my Windows 10. i don't feel safe using it. any user advice to please recommend me for a security software (an antivirus). i don't mind even if it is paid.

Whenever someone asks a question like you posed, the thread is invariably inundated with => "This is best AV."
  • Most security softs are decent.
  • You have to try the ones that you are interested in on your personal system to see if it works for you.
Perhaps if you stated more precisely what you want and expect from a security soft, then perhaps you will get more focused replies instead of "Soft X is best."

Explain to the community how you use your system (your computing habits):

• Do you use public Wifi ?
  • Do you use external drives ?
  • Do you do a lot of downloading - if yes, what is downloaded ?
  • What browser do you use ?
  • Do you use Microsoft Office, Adobe products, Java ?
  • Do you want automated solution or are you willing to tolerate having to make security decisions (respond to alerts) ?

Everybody here means well, but the way that you posed your request, all they are going to do is just throw out generic recommendations - which isn't going to help you very much. It will probably confuse you more than anything else.

bobby holla

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 30, 2014
thanks ya all for your suggestion and recommendations. but i have not been able to come to conclusion on which ITS product to go for.

Reactions: AtlBo

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
thanks ya all for your suggestion and recommendations. but i have not been able to come to conclusion on which ITS product to go for.

HAVE NO FEAR, THIS IS NORMAL..

Go for the GData Total Security 2017 on SALE for $19.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AtlBo

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It's easy. Look at your system's hardware. And looks at your habits.

Are you a happy clicker/compulsive downloader?: YES
Do you have good hardware?: YES

Result: Kaspersky Internet Security

------------------------------------------------

Do you have good hardware?: NO

Result: Emsisoft Internet Security

Are you a happy clicker/compulsive downloader?: NO

Result: Norton Internet Security

Result:
Avast Free - Windows Defender (free solutions)

Do you know how to internet & protect yourself using different software?

Result: VoodooShield as a default-deny solution + 3rd party firewall
Possible adition: free antivirus software (Avast maybe)

Recommendation: tweak your antivirus to achieve maximum security if you're unexperienced.

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
Result: Kaspersky Internet Security
Result: Emsisoft Internet Security
Result: Norton Internet Security

Result:
Avast Free - Windows Defender (free solutions)
Do you know how to internet & protect yourself using different software?
Result:
VoodooShield as a default-deny solution + 3rd party firewall
Possible adition: free antivirus software (Avast maybe)

Solid advice, here! ;)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Explain to the community how you use your system (your computing habits):

• Do you use public Wifi ?
  • Do you use external drives ?
  • Do you do a lot of downloading - if yes, what is downloaded ?
  • What browser do you use ?
  • Do you use Microsoft Office, Adobe products, Java ?
  • Do you want automated solution or are you willing to tolerate having to make security decisions (respond to alerts) ?

I think it would be a good idea if you see if you can find the time to answer the above questions posed by @Lockdown...at least for yourself.

Security protection involves a good deal of forethought and theoretical analysis then revolved around specific protections. It's easy to say what product is generally best and recommend this product, but the security solutions for a specific set of requirements could take someone in a completely different direction to come up with a secure PC setup that works for them. Could be as simple as the best doesn't offer full configurability for one single type of protection. Could be that the app has ransomeware protection modules but not specifically document protection. Find the application that contains the configurability you want for the most important element of security for your system and then build around that.

I'd add one question to @Lockdown's questions. Having answered his questions, then ask, "What type of protection will be most important to me?" Examples of this would be, "I work in an office, and I am concerned about ransomeware" or maybe "I tinker with scripts, so I would want something that allows me to take advantage of the knowledge I have and participate in the control of the use of scripts on a PC" or maybe "I open alot of e-mail documents and download a lot of files and I want something that will specifically protect me from e-mail and download droppers". Maybe you want superior firewall and network monitoring capabilities. Especially helpful for a laptop. From your answer to all the questions, select the application that will give you the controls you require to begin your setup. Then build around that application.

If you have no preference for a type of protection at this point, maybe you could read up on the popular security programs available and choose the one that matches your expectations best. Then read up here at MTs and learn about layering and specific protections. It's very interesting and you can start with and build around any sort of security program. Your security setup can grow and change as your requirements change. That's the really good news with security these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: malis2007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.