Emsisoft

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks to everyone commenting on this topic
I've made my decision, i'll stay with Emsisoft.

i actually did a switch to GDATA with the license i had, tested it for two days, there are some problems with GDATA that makes the day to day use of my PC uncomfortable to me.
the 1.2GB ram usage is higher than any AV i've ever seen but the issue itself is not something that conflict with me doing games or browsing the net, but the fact that there are some AVs out there with 2 or more engines that use less ram than what GDATA uses, it just bothers me. also GDATA support said "+1GB memory usage is a known bug" and asked me to do a fresh reinstall using their AVCleaner, didn't worked tho and it still uses +1GB ram for me.

as @Sorrento mentioned i find GDATA having problems with Mullvad for some reason, i keep getting disconnected when GDATA Firewall is On, i turned GDATA Firewall off and connected to Mullvad just to make sure it is GDATA Firewall that causing this issue and it was the case sadly.

Also Backup feature is not operational at the moment ( been like this at least since last PCMag review ), GDATA Support said that they are going to remove it with the next Software Update, no ETA tho. another con for me. too slow imo for doing something about a somewhat important feature of your product line when it is known to be not operational.

I've found GDATA "protection wise" great tho, BEAST DeepRay and signatures were really good i mean they were great as expected, they give me the confidence i needed however, the mentioned issues just feels like they're not really that focused on development of their product at least in terms of fixing issues, it is just protection, i can't stand the fact that a company have two long standing known bugs/issues and doing nothing about them for months at least. the VPN issue also seems to be a known one since Sorrento here mentioned it before i notice.

Yes i guess i stay with Emsisoft for now.

Last edited:

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
Thanks to everyone commenting on this topic
I've made my decision, i'll stay with Emsisoft.

i actually did a switch to GDATA with the license i had, tested it for two days, there are some problems with GDATA that makes the day to day use of my PC uncomfortable to me.
the 1.2GB ram usage is higher than any AV i've ever seen but the issue itself is not something that conflict with me doing games or browsing the net, but the fact that there are some AVs out there with 2 or more engines that use less ram than what GDATA uses, it just bothers me. also GDATA support said "+1GB memory usage is a known bug" and asked me to do a fresh reinstall using their AVCleaner, didn't worked tho and it still uses +1GB ram for me.

as @Sorrento mentioned i find GDATA having problems with Mullvad for some reason, i keep getting disconnected when GDATA Firewall is On, i turned GDATA Firewall off and connected to Mullvad just to make sure it is GDATA Firewall that causing this issue and it was the case sadly.

Also Backup feature is not operational at the moment ( been like this at least since last PCMag review ), GDATA Support said that they are going to remove it with the next Software Update, no ETA tho. another con for me. too slow imo for doing something about a somewhat important feature of your product line when it is known to be not operational.

I've found GDATA "protection wise" great tho, BEAST DeepRay and signatures were really good i mean they were great as expected, they give me the confidence i needed however, the mentioned issues just feels like they're not really that focused on development of their product at least in terms of fixing issues, it is just protection, i can't stand the fact that a company have two long standing known bugs/issues and doing nothing about them for months at least. the VPN issue also seems to be a known one since Sorrento here mentioned it before i notice.

Yes i guess i stay with Emsisoft for now.
I had the same problem with the RAM usage, but after some time it resolved itself. So you probably have to wait until it cached everything?

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
When the ram usage increased to 1gb and 1.5gb, I uninstalled the program from the computer.They need to release a patch on this.
yea well they need to patch this for years now
support told me it is normal however, like he said he opened an internal ticket with developers about this
and they said it's normal and nothing wrong is there to be fixed

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I'm gonna give it a try again tomorrow and I'll tell you how it goes

Thanks GDATA is however a big no for me since their support just confirmed these

- Password manager can only support Microsoft Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.
- Web protection can only support Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.
We remain available in need of further assistance.
Kind Regards,

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I'm always partial to Emsisoft, good software, good privacy and good protection. I have some pet peeves which means I don't use it anymore but i still like it no matter what. Only problem is cost but enter the XMAS giveaway and get one for free.

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
Thanks GDATA is however a big no for me since their support just confirmed these
Normal RAM usage after some time.
Capture.PNG

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Oddly.... the above screenshot of memory usage for GDATA is what I see on one of my windows 7 machines. On windows 10, it runs very high in memory usage, as @Like a Western! and @likeastar20 both commented. HOWEVER... It feels very lite and opens web pages and programs as quick as other AV's I have running on other PC's. Indeed, it shows extreme usage, although this doesn't seem to have any bearing on its "nimbleness". Being said, I do indeed love Emsisoft, but have no problem with GDATA. Emsisoft should have left their firewall alone. (also, they should have kept their forum running). If I had to choose one, it would be a very very tough call. I like the pricing of GDATA, (thanks to @SerialCart) their "tuning" ability, and the fact they have kept their firewall.

Peace and Happy Holidays, Ya'll. ✌️

Like a Western!

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I can ignore Ram usage, cause i have like 32 GB Ram hell let GDATA take 1.5 even 2-3 GB of it all the time i don't mind, i don't feel it.
I can even ignore their Password Manager doesn't work with Firefox and Edge for months or even years and they didn't fix it, cause even Bitdefender Wallet doesn't support Edge, so i can think if a big company as Bitdefender has same problems well why not GDATA can't have. it's an Anti-Virus company after all, not a password manager provider.
But as i've mentioned in my previous post, GDATA Support says their Web Protection not working on Firefox.
that is some kind of serious sh*t i believe like how can they ignore the fact that there is no web protection on Firefox browser, it's not like Opera or some unknown unpopular browser.
it's like 3rd most popular browser on internet.

maybe @struppigel have some contacts in GDATA development team and can share with us what's the reason of their laziness in fixing their backup feature, password manager and web protection. all these 3 are features that this suite advertise and charge people for it, and none of them working.

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
I can ignore Ram usage, cause i have like 32 GB Ram hell let GDATA take 1.5 even 2-3 GB of it all the time i don't mind, i don't feel it.
I can even ignore their Password Manager doesn't work with Firefox and Edge for months or even years and they didn't fix it, cause even Bitdefender Wallet doesn't support Edge, so i can think if a big company as Bitdefender has same problems well why not GDATA can't have. it's an Anti-Virus company after all, not a password manager provider.
But as i've mentioned in my previous post, GDATA Support says their Web Protection not working on Firefox.
that is some kind of serious sh*t i believe like how can they ignore the fact that there is no web protection on Firefox browser, it's not like Opera or some unknown unpopular browser.
it's like 3rd most popular browser on internet.

maybe @struppigel have some contacts in GDATA development team and can share with us what's the reason of their laziness in fixing their backup feature, password manager and web protection. all these 3 are features that this suite advertise and charge people for it, and none of them working.
I agree, the overall protection is top-tier, but the rest is lacking.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.