Advice Request I need to secure my microphone on my notebook, but the tool must also be very light

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I own rather small laptop (Lenovo Flex 5 14ARE05, to be precise) that I ust bought and would like to secure it properly and with help of local expers. As you can see if you take a look ať my HW scpecifics, running multiple web pages at once + Offices + cloud +printing etc... And try to image Kaspersky Internet Security over all of this... Hard to image scenario, it probably wouldn't work, anyway. So currently im using that BitDefender Free Version and it seems to be ptetty light. I don't have any - super-sensitive data here. What perceive as much, MUCH biggest problem is that the laptop has a webcam (hardwarely blocked ofc), but also a microphone. What software solution would you recommend for me? It needs to be "soolid as much as possible," but I also need to be able to turn it off safely any time because sometimes o need that to comminucate (Zoo). Any
suggestion?

. I am currently using BitDefender Free Version and that's it.

Reactions: Cortex and Nevi

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
And try to image Kaspersky Internet Security over all of this... Hard to image scenario, it probably wouldn't work, anyway.

Why? :unsure: Kaspersky can perfectly control Micro and WebCam from the Application Control system rights:

1603695934763.png

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It can be tweaked to be lighter, also should run fine in that new system... SSD, how much RAM?

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

It's saying underneath that some desktop apps might still have access to the microphone, but there is a setting in the sound control panel. Right click on the speaker tray icon and select "sounds". You will then be able to disable the microphone and you can re-enable it any time.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and RXZ6Q

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
This was the first I was thinking about the cam. I don't use a mic myself, so I have not thought about that, but your solution should fix it, and a little piece of black tape fix the cam right there. As far as I remember Mark Zuckerberg use same trick.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

No need to use software.

Just stick a small piece of styrofoam into the mic opening and paste a few layers of tape over it.......... and tape the webcam as well
This might permanently damage your microphone. Furthermore, how will you take it out when you wanna talk? 😅😅
Also, some PCs have 2-3 microphones for noise cancelling.

Reactions: harlan4096

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Disconnect it. Manual switch.

Ditch the laptop. Build a budget Custom PC, with external webcam and mic set up.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.