Serious Discussion I use NextDNS, but want an additional on-device layer in my iPhone - Which to pick, 1Blocker, AdGuard, or other?

MacbookGirl

Thread author
Jun 24, 2023
The title is self-explanatory, but to add context, I’m a medium experienced person who enjoys knowing my gadgets are safe from being hacked. I recently started using NextDNS after I have been a Lockdown user on my Apple devices.

From what I under it’s good to have another layer of protection from malware and ads on device if the first one fails or is temporarily shut-down.

So I would appreciate if you could guide me to taking the right decision.

I don’t mind taking additional tips as well. Thanks in advance!

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I use iCloud+ Private Relay and Proton VPN. Never had a problem.

But I've read good things about NextDNS, I just don't think I need anything else.

Lockdown Mode huh?

Well, if you're security needs are that extreme, what I say is probably moot.

Welcome fellow MacBookian by the way. Fair warning though, you are entering a fairly feral Windowsian environment.

MacbookGirl

Thread author
Jun 24, 2023
iPhone doesn't need antivirus.
Adgaurd, 1Blocker and similar apps provide many of the same benefits as NextDNS. They remove ads, tracking, and you can also hide elements (unwanted website objects).

So there are clearly some benefits using these apps. Hopefully, NextDNS does most of the job in the cloud so these apps won’t take to much resources handling annoyances on your iPhone.

I wonder if there are any drawdowns using apps like these for the sake of privacy and security, but also which of them one presumably should use. Thank you!

Reactions: I Walk MY Way

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
Adgaurd, 1Blocker and similar apps provide many of the same benefits as NextDNS. They remove ads, tracking, and you can also hide elements (unwanted website objects).

So there are clearly some benefits using these apps. Hopefully, NextDNS does most of the job in the cloud so these apps won’t take to much resources handling annoyances on your iPhone.

I wonder if there are any drawdowns using apps like these for the sake of privacy and security, but also which of them one presumably should use. Thank you!

You need a DNS because the apps only protect the Safari browser and thirty party browsers on IOS/IpadOS aren't allowed to install their own extensions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.