Advice Request I want to build a PC as my daily driver and as a gaming rig

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just ignore the followings for the moment

1) Price
2) PCIe 5.0
3) Ryzen 7000 series CPU. It's rumored that DDR5/5200 RAM and 2xUSB 4 (40Gbps) are supported and will be released in 2022
4) DDR5 RAM

Will be using the Samsung Neo QLED 8K TV which supports 8K@60Hz/4K@120Hz. Items shortlisted

A) Case : Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini
Notes
1) The case supports SFX/SFX-L PSU and ATX/Micro-ATX/Mini-ATX Mo
2) Full size ATX casing is just too large on my desk. The Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini approaches that of a mid-tower but larger than the mini-ITX cases

B) PSU : SFX-L Silverstone SX1000-LPT (v1.1) 80 Plus Platinum
C) GPU : ROG STRIX RTX3090 O24G OC WHITE
D) Motherboard : Intel Z590 or AMD X570. Both are ATX form factor
E) CPU : Intel i9-11900K (8C/16T) or AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16C/32T)

CPU Shootout

Intel i9-11900K (8C/16T)

or the

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16C/32T)

Mo Shootout

Intel - AUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Spec : ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO
Review : Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero Review: Premium Hardware, Premium Price

or the

AMD - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Spec : ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | ROG Crosshair | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Singapore
Review : Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Review: Crosshair Goes Stealth for Zen3

I have read from the net regarding Intel vs AMD Mo. For now

Intel Mo has
1) WiFi 6E
2) TB4/HDMI
3) Supports 11th Gen CPU
4) Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps)

which are lacking in the AMD Mo

Actually, the case, PSU and GPU have more or less confirmed. I made a quick calculation and the PC setup I'm asking for will approach the price of a 65-inch Samsung Neo QLED 8K TV

The only issue is which approach (Intel or AMD) should I go?

Like to get your feedback. Thanks

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Nevi and ZeePriest
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

First question: Can you wait until next generation? Ryzen 7000 (6000 is for netbook) will give a nicely boost compared to current 5000.

Gaming. Which games?
Even with an RX 6900XT or GTX 3090 you can't play on 4K 120Hz. No need to talk about 8K.
An TV also isn't recommended for gaming because of slowness.

Intel has
1) WiFi 6E
Your posted ASUS board provide this too.
Is it needed?
4) Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps)
same as your ASUS board.

Also, you don't need such high-end board. Ryzen 5000 sweet spot for RAM is still 3600Mhz so you don't get many improvements with higher speeds, but it costs a lot more money.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
First question: Can you wait until next generation? Ryzen 7000 (6000 is for netbook) will give a nicely boost compared to current 5000.

Gaming. Which games?
Even with an RX 6900XT or GTX 3090 you can't play on 4K 120Hz. No need to talk about 8K.
An TV also isn't recommended for gaming because of slowness.

Your posted ASUS board provide this too.

Is it needed?

same as your ASUS board.

Also, you don't need such high-end board. Ryzen 5000 sweet spot for RAM is still 3600Mhz so you don't get many improvements with higher speeds, but it costs a lot more money.
The ASRock Z590 Extreme Intel Mo also comes with WiFi 6E similarly for MSI Z590 Pro WiFi. Just that ASUS items are easily available and with support centre in my country. Not sure of ASRock though. WiFi 6E is on my roadmap this year when the router is available. I'm waiting for confirm reply whether the Samsung Neo QLED 8K TV supports WiFi 6E. Samsung's current S21 Ultra supports WiFi 6E and 8K@60Hz recording so its next S22 series will support it. And some laptops are already supporting WiFi 6E. More should come this or next year

TB4 is more of connection to my monitor as TV don't come with TB/DP connection. Likely to get a TB4 docking station since my laptop is also connecting to my monitor via USB-C with TB3 cable. BTW, just checked, the AUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero comes with an HDMI port which means I can also connect directly to my 49-in LG 5K monitor. Anyway there are HDMI ports on the GPU as well

FYI, there are videos of 8K gaming being played on YouTube. You just need an equivalent powerful CPU and a RTX3090 for better FPS at 8K. You can also game using the RTX3080 but need to disable some features. Also, there's no 8K monitor around except for one old DELL model but 8K@60Hz/4K@120Hz TVs with gaming features like VRR, ALLM, Freesync/G-Sync etc are a norm now

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (20Gbps) and USB 4.0 (40Gbps) are more of future proofing

As for Ryzen 7000, which is a successor to the Ryzen 5000, will be released in late 2022. I can wait. Revised my initial posting of Ryzen 6000 to Ryzen 7000. Thanks for that.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Revised my plan for advanced setup (overclocking BIOS/GPU/CPU/RAM) and future expansion.

A) Case : Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo Mid Tower Case
Note
1) The case supports ATX PSU and EATX/ATX/Micro-ATX/Mini-ATX mobo

B) PSU : Corsair HX1200 (80 Plus Platinum)
C) GPU : ROG STRIX RTX3090 O24G OC WHITE
D) Motherboard : Intel Z590 or AMD X570. Both are ATX form factor
E) CPU : Intel i9-11900K (8C/16T) or AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16C/32T)

Reasons are

1) Planning for a water-cooled system for GPU and CPU
2) Future expansion of higher-powered ATX PSU

However, I'm eagerly looking forward to

AMD's recent announcement of the RYZEN 7000 series availability in 2022 which encompasses
  • Raphael Zen 4 architecture on 5nm
  • Supports only DDR5 RAM
  • Supports AM5 platform with LGA1718 socket
  • Gen 4 PCIe
All these imply changes will be made to the
  • Mobo
  • CPU
  • GPU
  • DDR RAM

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.