Never notify (disabled)
Real-time security
Basic setup:
SpyShelter FW, SeonfigXP, Shadow Defender, Keriver 1-Click Free
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
EEK
Malware sample testing
I do participate in malware testing. See details about my testing environment below.
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox - NoScript, BluHell Firewall, HTTPS Everywhere
Chrome - TunnelBear Blocker, Canvas Defender, Smart HTTPS
Maintenance tools
FreeCommander/STDUViewer/XnView/1by1/XMPlay,/MPC BE
CCleaner/Privazer/RegSeeker,/Revo Unist.Free,
Anvir Task Manager/Process Hacker,
ERUNTgui/WinContig/WinPrefetchView
File and Photo backup
file manager synchronisation
System recovery
Keriver 1-Click Free

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@askalan
@Sunshine-boy
Maybe more comment about what wrong is in my real-time non-signatures protection? Do you realy think that cloud, signatures "or other detection methods" (which?) are obligatory to be protected? And the best..."protection for hackers?"...show me how/when...

@harlan4096
Thanks for your advice but at this time I don't think about upgrade...Vista is enough for my needs and even more I'll go back to use XP on old laptop of my wife (she got new with W8.1) so I can use again my liked apps like SSM or Filseclab FW :) I know Vista is already abandoned but from time to time I'm checking it to find updates for MS applications.

@Lockdown
Just thanks :)

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@ichito

First good to see you here also :) Second I see you use Keriver and Shadow Defender together. Do you have seperate data partition? If so would be interesting to know what is protected / virtualised by shadow defender and what is backed-up / recovered by Keriver.

Thx

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hi @WS :)
and vice versa :)
Yes...I have my data on non-system disk so in SM both disks are vitualised except "download" folder (the same for Firefox, SlimJet...as the "backup" browser...and IE that is not in use). This folder is on "list of restricted folders" in SS and is also added to the localisation with write access so I think is actually enough. I didn't excluded Keiver's snapshots folder because files inside are to big to be touched by ransomware or something. K1-C backups only system disk but as wrote earlier it stores his data on second disk on which are placed also files of recovery console.

@Sunshine-boy
I know that SS isn't perfect but do you know such app that offers 100% of protection? Second thing...is not only the one security app on my system.
-----------
edit:
Some clarification...Keriver's backup folder hasn't special protection both in SD and SS. I think there is no malware that could touch file in weight ca 4 GB :)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I think that @ichito knows all vulnerabilities of such setup. He is an experienced user, so he can infect himself only when he wants to. Many Firefox vulnerabilities and keyloggers are covered by SpyShelter. Shadow Defender covers other vulnerabilities and most kernel-exploits.
Personally, I would also block Windows Script Host (there is probably no PowerShell on Vista) and use something like Adguard DNS or ublock Firefox addon for blocking phishing websites and malware in advertisements.:)
@ichito, I am curious how did you set 'Protected Files' and 'Restricted Applications' modules?

D

Deleted member 178

I smiled when i saw Ichito's setup posted and its tag, i knew he will got it even before reading it. :p

People knowing @ichito knows he is not a classic user and has quite some experience, SS +SD is almost bulletproof.

Obviously his tag won't be changed because MT has rules about the config's tag attribution, especially to discourage beginners to blindly copy experienced users setup that would make them unsecure.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Obviously his tag won't be changed because MT has rules about the config's tag attribution, especially to discourage beginners to blindly copy experienced users setup that would make them unsecure.
People still could partially copy "Pro Config" of users, who use no realtime AV, no file reputation, etc, since even the name suggest, that it is "better".

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
People knowing @ichito knows he is not a classic user and has quite some experience, SS +SD is almost bulletproof.
People still could partially copy "Pro Config" of users, who use no realtime AV, no file reputation, etc, since even the name suggest, that it is "better".

I want to know the recipe of bulletproof config.
Without real-time protection how pro user stays protected.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Personally I would update my OS
I smiled when i saw Ichito's setup posted and its tag, i knew he will got it even before reading it. :p

Experienced users should make that know in their config and discourage the novice from blindly following their configurations.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

D

Deleted member 178

They can, but disabling UAC and Smartscreen isn't a good example of best practice and safe habit.
Of course, people are responsible for their choice and are free to make them; but i made those rules because MT can't be taken responsible to give a "secure" tag to a special config, then a beginner copy it (without even understanding it) and smash his system or get infected.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.