Never notify (disabled)
Real-time security
Basic setup:
SpyShelter FW, SeonfigXP, Shadow Defender, Keriver 1-Click Free
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
EEK
Malware sample testing
I do participate in malware testing. See details about my testing environment below.
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox - NoScript, BluHell Firewall, HTTPS Everywhere
Chrome - TunnelBear Blocker, Canvas Defender, Smart HTTPS
Maintenance tools
FreeCommander/STDUViewer/XnView/1by1/XMPlay,/MPC BE
CCleaner/Privazer/RegSeeker,/Revo Unist.Free,
Anvir Task Manager/Process Hacker,
ERUNTgui/WinContig/WinPrefetchView
File and Photo backup
file manager synchronisation
System recovery
Keriver 1-Click Free

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Malware migrates too, using an outdated OS is an advantage by itself. 7 & 10 are top targets, Vista was never liked too much, not even by hackers.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Malware migrates too, using an outdated OS is an advantage by itself. 7 & 10 are top targets, Vista was never liked too much, not even by hackers.

Cuz because in pratice side vista was beta system to windows 7(and alpa was called Windows Longhorn) however microsoft wanted get some money before relase system fully with fixed - rdy to work. So they relase Vista... problematic system with uac issues / and software compatybility which even producents refused write compatibility fix for thier software to this system while more stable windows 7 was coming soon.

Similar situation with ME, 2000 ---> XP and windows 8 ---> 8.1

@ichito Meaby you will think about add umatrix to chrome if you like use SafeScript under firefox :)

Reactions: harlan4096

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@ichito

I see you have Vista Enterprise. You could use SRP (keeping default level on unrestricted) and put some programs in a limited user container (by adding a path rule with BASIC USER option) as an extra layer of security. Running a program as Basic User in Vista prevents them to elevate to ADMIN (so no UAC=popup).

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Similar situation with ME, 2000 ---> XP and windows 8 ---> 8.1
Actually ME and Vista SP2 were my favorite, I had no problems with either, once fully updated. I would choose Vista over 8.1 any day or ME over XP.

D

Deleted member 178

So...I should only say "sorry"...my setup will be perhaps allways "risky" doue to I'm rather person who like to have own opinion
Again risky-tagged people still don't get it... A standard has been set from specific criterias, then tags are given based on it. If a config doesn't fill the prerequisites for the "secure" tag, so risky it is.

Tags were not created to give to the member a good mark with a candy followed by applause to satisfy his ego. The tag doesn't care who the user is , his skills or knowledge, and even less his opinion.

Every member being tagged should ask themselves:

"Give a noob my config, will he be safe?"... it was never "does my setup is safe in my hands?"

and be happy because when we created the tags years ago, i set the standard way higher...many "secure" config here won't even be considered as such when i managed this section of the forum.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can hide behind your "sorry" response, but you cannot ignore the facts:
  • Unsupported OS
  • 32-bit version
  • No security updates
  • No UAC
  • Downloading Malware on the Host PC
Antivirus, Restrictions, Sandboxing and Backups don't patch or fix the vulnerabilities lying within the OS.

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Again risky-tagged people still don't get it... A standard has been set from specific criterias, then tags are given based on it. If a config doesn't fill the prerequisites for the "secure" tag, so risky it is.

Tags were not created to give to the member a good mark with a candy followed by applause to satisfy his ego. The tag doesn't care who the user is , his skills or knowledge, and even less his opinion.

Every member being tagged should ask themselves:

"Give a noob my config, will he be safe?"... it was never "does my setup is safe in my hands?"

and be happy because when we created the tags years ago, i set the standard way higher...many "secure" config here won't even be considered as such when i managed this section of the forum.
Hmmm...you've chosen and underlined my words so it'll be my small comment - don't you like to have yours?
I like have my own opinion...even more...people round me expect that I will have such one due to I'm already quite 60, saw a lot and experienced a lot...I think it's quite common thing and many people in similar age can say the same.
:sneaky:
OK...funny already it was...now it'll be more serious. I'm surprised your reaction and ironic attack on me personaly. It was for me below some level which I could expect...till this moment now. I'm realy disapointed.

Reactions: Quassar
D

Deleted member 178

You have your opinion, so do i, but the tags werent made to display the member's opinion.
And if you thought i was the kind of guy who is politically correct or worry about people feelings, you are dead wrong.
Also, It was not a personal attack specifically made against you. It was an attack against all the tag-whiners.

Thanks.

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Next idea and the next setup based on SD (LV) and Keriver 1-Click (backup):
- Online Armor (last "Australian" free version) with some vulnerable apps in RunSafer Mode :emoji_innocent:
- Tiny Watcher with extended list of location/registry based on MJ Registry Watcher from that thread
Updating Tiny Watcher for Win 7

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.