Troubleshoot Icons in windows have no image

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hey guys win 10 is being a pita, I did a reboot to finish updates and after restarting my icons were all screwed up as you can see below...
FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Can anyone tell me if you have been able to downgrade to win 7 on a new HP win 10 laptop and the drivers install correctly?
No sorry, never try to downgrade.

Try to put this icone cache
in your C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\

=> https://1fichier.com/?6o6ksmf6ue

and restart you pc after

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I may be grasping at straws here, just my 2 cents mind you.... I had a very similar experience with windows 7. I had to repair/reinstall my AMD/ATI graphics drivers. Like I said, similar experience. Just a thought.:rolleyes:
It is true that if the basic method don't work, drivers can be the culprit.
But could it explain why its Windows 10 refuse to re build iconcache.db ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
Try to rebuild the icon cache and check if the issue is resolved.

Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database:

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.

2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local

DEL IconCache.db /a

EXIT

8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

If still the issue not resolve, then try to create a new user account and check.

To create a user account:

1. To open User Accounts, click the Start button, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.

2. Click Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Create a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Upvote 0

Vacoas

Level 1
Jan 9, 2017
I have been experiencing the same problem since a Windows update in mi-December.
The main symptoms are :
  • All desktop icons have no image, most taskbar icons are blank and explorer icons are blank whatever their size.
  • When I try to open Properties with a right-click nothing happens.
  • Some programs such as Winzip are not starting anymore even after they are re-installed.
I tried rolling back on the latest Windows updates (KB3206632 looked like a potential culprit) but it did not help.
I also tried many of the solutions suggested in this thread and elsewhere but none of them worked. This includes :
  • Clearing the iconcache* files by different methods.
  • Running sfc /scannow
I created a new account but it has the same problems.

I am not quite sure what to do next but at least there is someone who started to experience this problem about the same time as I did.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

You may try this...FixWin10...fixes mention "Fix Corrupted Desktop Icons. Fix and rebuild corrupted icon cache"...fix is under "Additional Fixes".

Hope your probs are fixed.

Download page...go through the page...couple things mentioned...
FixWin for Windows 10: Repair problems and issues in a click
List of fixes page
List of fixes available in FixWin 10
Screenshots page
FixWin 10 for Windows 10 - Screenshot Gallery

I tried it...its portable & clean little tool...quite a few fixes...I like it...hope fixes are good & effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.