Troubleshoot Icons in windows have no image

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hey guys win 10 is being a pita, I did a reboot to finish updates and after restarting my icons were all screwed up as you can see below...
FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Did you try this?

Click/tap on the download button below to download the file below.

Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat

2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Close and save anything that you are working on before proceeding. The next steps will involve killing explorer and restarting the PC.

4. Run the .bat file.

5. If prompted, click/tap on Run to approve. If you like, you can unblock the .bat file to no longer get the Run (Open File - Security Warning) prompt. (see screenshot below)

Press any key to continue, let it finish and restart your system.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hey guys, I am so pi$$ed right now....so I had to reformat and everything was fine until MS updates installed and now the same dang thing has happened AGAIN!!! I am going to permanently disable windows updates via services, cause this is ridiculous! Every fix I have tried has failed, so what other options are there? I have to believe it's KB3199986, cause it has created lots of problems for people but I haven't seen my particular issue in any articles, the only other updates installed are security related...

2016-12-15_144032.png

I have no icon images at all in windows, here's my control panel...
2016-12-15_144103.png

Upvote 0

Iapepe

Level 10
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Close all programs, and open the command line by running cmd in the Run box, then run into this in turn commands below:

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
shutdown /r /f /t 00

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Close all programs, and open the command line by running cmd in the Run box, then run into this in turn commands below:

shutdown /r /f /t 00
That are the good steps, in most cases.
This is almost what does the .bat file linked by BoraMurdar (with tests and prompt)
I suppose overkill has run it as admin.

One test to do : create a shortcut, for example from This PC, and look at the properties => change icon if the good dll is used : C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

shutdown /r /f /t 00
Could Not Find C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
That are the good steps, in most cases.
This is almost what does the .bat file linked by BoraMurdar (with tests and prompt)
I suppose overkill has run it as admin.

One test to do : create a shortcut, for example from This PC, and look at the properties => change icon if the good dll is used : C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll
When I try to open properties nothing happens

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Open Properties of the shortcut (create for example a shortcut of this PC) and click on "change icon" => you must see the dll used, or can browse to the good dll if it not appears.
Could Not Find C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\IconCache.db
Local : hidden folder
IconCache.db : hidden file
=> If you want remove it manually, you have to make the folder visible, enter inside, and make the file visible

When I try to open properties nothing happens
01.jpg

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
IconCache.db is gone and properties will not open. I have have put my win 10 laptop away for a few days to see if I can find any other ways to fix this, but if I don't I will reformat and disable updates. The sad thing is, I can't even downgrade to win 7 cause when I try to install drivers they won't even install correctly. :mad:

Upvote 0

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
IconCache.db is gone and properties will not open. I have have put my win 10 laptop away for a few days to see if I can find any other ways to fix this, but if I don't I will reformat and disable updates. The sad thing is, I can't even downgrade to win 7 cause when I try to install drivers they won't even install correctly. :mad:
When IconCache.db is gone, a normal reboot must create it again, that is very strange.
I think you must disable updates for few weeks, and see if other persons had same problem with their windows update.
the dll I show on my screenshot is the one where icons are, if you can open create a shortcut, then open properties and browse to to the good dll and validate, very strange behavior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
When IconCache.db is gone, a normal reboot must create it again, that is very strange.
I think you must disable updates for few weeks, and see if other persons had same problem with their windows update.
the dll I show on my screenshot is the one where icons are, if you can open create a shortcut, then open properties and browse to to the good dll and validate, very strange behavior.
It never re-created itself...this is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me with computers. This is a bad bug from MS :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.