Solved IE11 Homepage changes to about blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows7_user

Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Ok, then we're done :)

I can recommend you this software to avoid Adware in the future. Unchecky is very light and install and forget program. It works in background and has auto update feature, so beleive me you will forget it is installed.

http://unchecky.com/

Read here how it works --> http://www.howtogeek.com/179758/how-to-avoid-junkware-offers-with-unchecky/

The following will implement some post-cleanup procedures:

=> Please download DelFix by Xplode to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
checkmark.png
Remove disinfection tools
checkmark.png
Create registry backup
checkmark.png
Purge System Restore

Click Run button and wait a few seconds for the programme completes his work.
At this point all the tools we used here should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)

The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

Thanks (again!) - so far so good this morning - I'm away for rest of day so will look at the suggestion above on Sunday morning & sort that drink out too. I run Mcafee Total Protection - is the above OK to run in conjunction with that?

Windows7_user

Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
All sorted and homepage still OK - many thanks again. Have done the final scan and downloaded unchecky and bought you a beer or 3 via your paypal button. Cheers!

Windows7_user

Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Very strange. Can you look at options to set page you want.
yep - "intenet options" and home page now says "about blank".

I'll change it back to google and see when and if it reverts to about blank.

The only thing different I dis this evening was checked the facebook "keep me logged in" box and it was after I closed facebook and then re-opened IE11 30 mins later that it happened.

Windows7_user

Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
yep - "intenet options" and home page now says "about blank".

I'll change it back to google and see when and if it reverts to about blank.

The only thing different I dis this evening was checked the facebook "keep me logged in" box and it was after I closed facebook and then re-opened IE11 30 mins later that it happened.

Update - homepage still OK - did a Mcafee scan and a Malwarebites one - both found nothing. Will
You still with me?

Yep - homepage still behaving - but have not visited / used facebook since. Will be on that site later so will report back if this causes the issue to re-surface. (apologies for the truncated post yesterday - not sure what happened)
As mentioned scans have found nothing, unchecky is happy and I have had no alerts etc browsing.

Windows7_user

Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Update - all been fine - then this morning I clicked on an email which had a zip attachment by mistake but did not open the attachment or view the contents of the email. Deleted it then did a full Mcafee Total Protection scan which found one issue on a .msg file - a rdn/generic downloader.x!kg.

Opened IE11 and back to about blank ! So am wondering whether this is related to Mcafee / the email or something else?

I have done a Malwarebytes antimalware scan and that picks up nothing. Do you think there is anything else I should check?

(sorry to be a pain!)

Ogremanji

Jan 20, 2015
TwinHeadedEagle,

I'm having the same issue as Windows7_user...

Is there anyway you can use your mad skills and help a chump like me out?
I'd go ahead and follow all those directions up there so as to not bother you and use
that script and such but I wouldn't want to blast my computer to Bermuda by being
hasty as it says to not do this in the thread.

Anywho,

Thank you in advance!

-Ogremanji

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.