"iexplore.exe" running in background without IE being open

Larencemartin

Thread author
Sep 12, 2015
I tried Spybot, CCleaner, Avast, System Restore, Upgraded to Windows 10, still Iexplorer running about 75 blank windows if I didn't stop them.
taskkill.exe would stop them for a while so I could at least use my computer, (don't remember how I set that up, but google it and figure it out. Just an .exe that closes all Iexplorer windows.)
Tried Housecall, Microsoft Security Essentials, Msert (microsoft scan), SuperAntiSpyware, System Restore stopped working after updating to Windows 10 ............
I also couldn't delets Iexplore.exe from windows registry. Even as an Admin. I was just overwhelmed. I just wanted to get rid of Iexplorer all together.

My computer finally got to the place it wouldn't even start, so I had to F2 to reload drivers and software.

Finally .................. I downloaded Process Blocker. I think it Process Blocker.com .... and then went into Configure Process Blocker, and added Iexplore.exe and it will not let me open Internet Explorer on my computer at all! I don't care. I didn't actually solve the problem, but I use Firefox anyway.

Down the road I'd still like to know why these windows keep opening up. I got to a total of about 75 once and I think it would have kept opening more ..... but my computer would just get to a slow crawl.

Did anyone actually solve this?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.