Advice Request If you are forced to Reset install Windows 10, are you confident all your data is safe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Theoretical question yet an entirely possible scenario.

If your Windows PC is unbootable (ie. no fix available), are you confident that your existing Windows set up can be safely forced to be reset with a clean installation without any data loss?

Example: Windows users with cloud storage enabled or local backups need not worry about data loss. Programmes can be reinstalled.

Can you confidently say you're part of this? Or are you at risk of losing some data?

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I would failback/fall back to one of my previous disk images in this sort of case. Resetting Windows 10 can be quite dicey - trust me I work in a large corporation and have seen some weird stuff happen during a reset of Windows 10. 99.9999% of the time we are falling back to disk images vs performing a reset.

True story: Once we tried a reset on an HP 840 G6 laptop. The drivers seemed all hunky dory, but the graphics driver itself became so loopy the screen would start to act all funny at weird/super weird times. We couldn't figure out the issue until finally I pipped up and said "Hey, I think Windows 10 done goofed up here." We then did a wipe clean of Windows 10 (as in trashed everything and started from bare hardware) and the issues went away.

Bottom line: Backup, backup again, and test your backups. From there, you got nothing to worry about.

~Brian

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My Windows happened to have corrupted today, and was forced to reset, clean install to the c:\ drive. Confident to say, zero data loss thanks to 2nd internal drive and Cloud backup/sync with OneDrive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.