Advice Request If you could pick only one program for protection.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Sorry to contradict it. But a Protection program is an Anti-exe, an antivirus, a Sanbox. SRP a firewall , HIPS etc. But not a browser or an operating system.
I understand I can be wrong.:)

You do not have to apologise.(y);)
Strictly speaking, the main function of the browser is not the one I mentioned before.

But none of us use a browser with the default settings.
We do this because we assign a defensive role to the browser ourselves.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Why Yandex and no other browser?
Because of some unique security features, like the inbuilt dnscrypt (I prefer UDP over TCP for DNS) and Protect mode, where the browser employs extra security measures by using stricter HTTPS certificate checks and disabling extensions, they are known to leak data, even legitimate ones can.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 228

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
DeepFreeze is for community computers. It purges infections upon reboot, though it does nothing to prevent initial infection.
Yeah I know that and love it because of this feature on the other hand if AV(except Kaspersky because it has rollback feature but you never know when it also failed) is failing to protect and all the files are lockdown what to do? Wait for unlock files and Backup is must...? Why not invest in this kind of reboot and restore software fast hand...(IMO)🙂

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Yeah I know that and love it because of this feature on the other hand if AV is failing to protect and all the files are lockdown what to do? Wait for unlock files and Backup is must...? Why not invest in this kind of reboot and restore software fast hand...(IMO)🙂
Who said your choices are limited to DeepFreeze and AV? We've been discussing default-deny solutions all along, of which I am a strong proponent.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
With any Light Virtualization software like Shadow Defender or Deepfreeze, at least a simple Default-Deny tool (anti-exe is best) is required, since those LV softs can't prevent any live infection during their own session.
True but I also have system own WD(customise) never disable it.

Reactions: oldschool

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
I would love to say Comodo (I really love the HIPS/Firewall), but it's unfortunately too buggy (still, after all this time) and the AV basically sucks. Even running it the way CruelSister recommends causes issues for me, since the auto-containment has some bugs (none that are security flaws) that delay launching processes and sometimes even cause them to crash. I really hope they get their act together some time soon, cause It's definitely my favorite, even with the lacking AV.

So, I'm gonna go with Kaspersky. In my opinion it really is the only well-rounded and complete solution out there that isn't buggy and doesn't need 3rd party support to excel. The AV is one of if not the best around, the HIPS is as good or better than anything out there AFAIK, the Firewall is good, and all it really lacks is proper sandboxing/virtualization, which isn't a necessity unless you want to be able to run un-trusted software on a whim. It doesn't have any real bugs and everything is implemented rather well as far as GUI and overall user experience.

But, honestly, if I had to stick with just Kaspersky, I would just switch to running Qubes full-time :D

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I feel naked without my VPN so it will be Windscribe Pro. I don't do anything until I'm connected to a VPN and don't have my information leak left and right. I know it's just another hop but Windscribe offers custom blocking and it's important to me that my devices don't broadcast my private information to trackers and malware can't phone back home.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
it's important to me that my devices don't broadcast my private information to trackers and malware can't phone back home.
VPNs do not stop malware from phoning home. They provide an encrypted connection so that your data does not get intercepted when being sent. But the data will still reach its destination whether you use a VPN or not.

The following video gives an excellent overview of VPNs and their limitations.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
VPNs do not stop malware from phoning home. They provide an encrypted connection so that your data does not get intercepted when being sent. But the data will still reach its destination whether you use a VPN or not.

The following video gives an excellent overview of VPNs and their limitations.

Like I said, it's the DNS/domain blocking that is specific to Windscribe. Malware sites are being blocked reducing me running into malware by a lot to begin with and even if I had malware running in the background if the domain it phones back to is blocked I'm good. That being said I have a Chromebook lol. :LOL:

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

it's important to me that my devices don't broadcast my private information to trackers and malware can't phone back home.
But you send data back to VPN. So where is the difference?

Like I said, it's the DNS/domain blocking that is specific to Windscribe. Malware sites are being blocked reducing me running into malware by a lot to begin with and even if I had malware running in the background if the domain it phones back to is blocked I'm good. That being said I have a Chromebook lol. :LOL:
Why then not just a DNS which block that stuff?

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
CFW (Cruelsister)
For the last two years, most of the time, Comodo Firewall at CS settings has been on my PC. But since Windows version 20H2, Comodo has been buggy for me: I tried 3 different versions of Comodo and 2 antivirus with the same results. My system freezes and Windows mail cannot always connect to the servers. So I'm with Simple Windows Hardening (mostly to restrict PowerShell) and the firewall rules of SysHardener.

porkpiehat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2015
For the last two years, most of the time, Comodo Firewall at CS settings has been on my PC. But since Windows version 20H2, Comodo has been buggy for me: I tried 3 different versions of Comodo and 2 antivirus with the same results. My system freezes and Windows mail cannot always connect to the servers. So I'm with Simple Windows Hardening (mostly to restrict PowerShell) and the firewall rules of SysHardener.
thankfully, I have experienced no such problems...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.