Advice Request I'm saying goodbye Google Chrome after 10 years

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you have Google Chrome installed on your PC/Mac/Mobile?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I basically did the same but didnt remove chrome. I still keep it but i exported bookmarks and all data to Firefox.

Using firefox as main browser, chrome on some occasions. New microsoft edge is all fine and dandy but its still based of chromium and for the browsing I need, it doesnt justify using a based off chromium browser when I can just use Chrome.

I would also like to point out that whenever im gaming i have always 4 tabs opened: 1 twitch, and 3 dedicated pages to the game im playing, and the switch to FF i saw a slight better performance while gaming.

My main phone is an iPhone so presumably no Google services running.

I use a spare Android phone for general surfing (usually when i'm in bed) and that must have Google services running. But it doesn't have a SIm card or my contacts on it and I use an email account just for that phone. I guess that helps with privacy a bit.
Not that I have a great deal to hide !

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
A little fed up if you got me Chrome
Turns out I have an extension called.
"Auto History Wipe"
When I have it activated I get this, when I deactivate it it does not warn me of anything, that is, I have to admit everything Chrome wants.

Screenshot_1.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I can attest to this. Fantastic on iOS.
Makes you more unique on iOS. See

For anti fingerprinting. Take two iPhones side by side and test it with one of those sites and they will be identical. The main advantage being that Safari is perfectly configured out of the box. You don't have to change anything. I recently got the chance to play with 2 iPhones SE phones at the same time. Out of the box they are perfect settings wise for Safari and they match on fingerprinting sites completely. The only issue could be clock derivation, but I haven't noticed iOS having any issues here. Picks up time quite well. Time issues are universal of course. Safari on iPhone is about as close as you will get to blending in to the site you visit.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I understood that all third-party browsers on iOS need to be based around Safari to comply with the rules of the App Store. Hence, third-party browsers are essentially identical to the default Safari browser with the only differences being their appearance and user interface.

Is this correct ?

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I'm still using Firefox because I like the way I can tweak the interface, privacy options, etc. But many of the addons are also available for Edge, so I installed them in the latter with imported data so that I can use the browser as a backup.

I moved to Firefox from Waterfox (and Waterfox Classic) because the latter felt slow in loading the browser and pages, and I recall experiencing similar with Palemoon, although I did appreciate the ability to use helpful addons like Flashget and Downthemall. Since then, I found desktop alternatives like Xtreme Download Manager, and I just availed of a promo lifetime sub for Adguard.

What I'm hoping for is some browser or fork that will allow for more interface tweaking (e.g., add another horizontal toolbar, or vertical and bottom toolbars with status, etc., dark or grey mode for any or everything), with privacy options stripped off or removable, and lots of addons to consider, including those for security, speed dialers, cookie managers, and multi containers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.