Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Windows Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Windows Defender tweaked by ConfigureDefender (everything ON, cloud protection set to Block)
Periodic malware scanners
  1. HitmanPro
  2. AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chromium portable (launched by chrlauncher) with:
  • Blocksi Web Filter
  • Close & Clean
  • Dark new tab
  • ublock origin
  • Windows Defender Browser Protection
Maintenance tools
  1. Dism++
  2. Explzh
  3. FastStone viewer
  4. Geek uninstaller
  5. NVT SysHardener
  6. Privacy Eraser
  7. RAPR
  8. SUMo
File and Photo backup
Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Edition
System recovery
Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Edition
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
Computer specs
MSI cubi i3 5005U

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
It will be OK, if you do not change the settings of SysHardener or H_C.:giggle:
But some functionality of H_C, related to whitelisting files with dangerous extensions and turning OFF some H_C settings, will be diminished.(y)
Thanks for testing H_C again.:emoji_ok_hand:
Well, SysHardener has 5 main sections:
  1. Windows Security Tweaks
  2. File Type Associations
  3. Windows Services
  4. Vulnerable Software
  5. Firewall
I think sections 2, 3 and 5 are not (or only partially) covered by H_C.
About 4, that is overlapping, but I prefer not to use generalistic SW (i.e. Adobe), so I don't care too much.
The biggest issues could come from section 1, but I don't apply too many settings from SysHardener because I think H_C is stronger there :)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Well, SysHardener has 5 main sections:
  1. Windows Security Tweaks
  2. File Type Associations
  3. Windows Services
  4. Vulnerable Software
  5. Firewall
I think sections 2, 3 and 5 are not (or only partially) covered by H_C.
About 4, that is overlapping, but I prefer not to use generalistic SW (i.e. Adobe), so I don't care too much.
The biggest issues could come from section 1, but I don't apply too many settings from SysHardener because I think H_C is stronger there :)
SysHardener is a very good security enhancement for an AV, when the user likes default-allow security setup. But it is redundant, when the user applied the H_C default-deny setup. Using H_C requires more skill and knowledge than using SysHardener, but SysHardener will be more usable for most users.
  1. Windows Security Tweaks: Some SysHardener tweaks are the default settings since Windows Vista. Many tweaks are not required in the default-deny setup. The rest is included in H_C.
  2. File Type Associations: H_C blocks all file extensions that are blocked by SysHardener (and about 30 more). This SysHardener feature will not work, because SRP will block the files with dangerous extensions, before they could be blocked by SysHardener.
  3. Windows Services: H_C blocks only those that can be dangerous. SysHardener blocks more, but they are rather related to privacy, and some others are simply not used (so may be disabled). Yet, there is a better software to block/unblock unused services: Easy Service Optimizer (Easy Service Optimizer v1.2).
  4. Vulnerable Software: SysHardener can harden additionally Foxit Reader and WPS Office, but those tweaks can be easily done within those applications. Both SysHardener and H_C can harden MS Office and Adobe Acrobat Reader, although the H_C settings are slightly stronger.
  5. Firewall: Not required in the H_C default-deny setup (look at @askalan tests on MH). Firewall rules are useful in SysHardener because it does not block some dangerous file extensions (CHM, CPL, LNK, etc.) which are blocked in H_C. Yet, if one wants to protect against LOLBins on a vulnerable system with vulnerable applications, then the firewall rules are rather useless. It is far better to block them with H_C.
For 90% of H_C users, using SysHardener will be not recommended.
Some advanced users, who know well how SysHardener and H_C work together, can get some advantage in rare situations.

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Update 16/03/2019
Removed Immunet, Windows 10 Firewall Control and Zemana Anti-malware portable
Re-enabled Windows Defender (tweaked for performance)

So, summarizing:
  • Web protection: k9
  • Antivirus: Windows Defender
  • Firewall: Windows Defender Firewall
  • Hardening: NoVirusThanks SysHardener + AndyFul's Hard_Configurator
  • Backup: Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Edition
k9 and H_C can take care of 99,99% of threats, WD is quite light if properly tweaked and using it reduces the chances of incompatibility issues

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Update 16/03/2019
Removed Immunet, Windows 10 Firewall Control and Zemana Anti-malware portable
Re-enabled Windows Defender (tweaked for performance)

So, summarizing:
  • Web protection: k9
  • Antivirus: Windows Defender
  • Firewall: Windows Defender Firewall
  • Hardening: NoVirusThanks SysHardener + AndyFul's Hard_Configurator
  • Backup: Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Edition
k9 and H_C can take care of 99,99% of threats, WD is quite light if properly tweaked and using it reduces the chances of incompatibility issues

I've gotten rid of all the "extras" like yourself. (y) Notice how your machine just hums along nicely? Heck, I've got all WD settings enabled and no issues, blocks, conflicts of any kind!

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I've gotten rid of all the "extras" like yourself. (y) Notice how your machine just hums along nicely? Heck, I've got all WD settings enabled and no issues, blocks, conflicts of any kind!
Yeah I also happen to go back to WD after I try other AVs.
Being integrated in Windows is a great plus considering that Microsoft already messes up with updates :p

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
There will be always some problems with application auto-updating when using default-deny setup. Personally, when the auto-update of some application is blocked, I simply turn OFF auto-updates for it, and perform manual updates. On Administrator account, it can be simply done by running the application via "Run As SmartScreen" and perform the update from application GUI. If the update requires the updater downloaded from the Internet, then the updater should be run via "Run As SmartScreen".
Probably something like SUMO (www.kcsoftwares.com) updater can be useful, too.

Thanks for recommending SUMo.

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Update 24/03/2019
Removed Hard_Configurator
Replaced Windows Defender with Comodo AntiVirus
Replaced Bandizip with PeaZip

I just wanna give CAV another try, on Comodo Forums I read the latest version (v11.0.0.6802) is quite stable.
First impression is OK, my system wasn't broken :ROFLMAO:
It's quite light on system resources

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Update 24/03/2019
Removed Hard_Configurator
Replaced Windows Defender with Comodo AntiVirus
Replaced Bandizip with PeaZip

I just wanna give CAV another try, on Comodo Forums I read the latest version (v11.0.0.6802) is quite stable.
First impression is OK, my system wasn't broken :ROFLMAO:
It's quite light on system resources
Let us know if you like it. :)

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Let us know if you like it. :)
So far so good, boot time and shut down aren't noticeably affected.
Even right after the start up, CPU and disk usage are nearly zero.
The only "issue" I have is about the following errors in Windows Event Viewer:
Error HTTP read from download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/stl/authroot.stl.7z, httpCode: 404 Error Code: 0x80070002
Error HTTP read from download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/stl/whitelist.json.7z, httpCode: 404 Error Code: 0x80070002

On Comodo Forums they said it's a non-issue, probably related with the update of the web filtering module, but it's strange because I don't have that module (I used the offline installer and check the AntiVirus only)
Error, httpCode: 404 Error Code: 0x80070002 - Install / Setup / Configuration Help - CIS

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Just updated CAV from v11.0.0.6802 to v12.0.0.6810.
The update went smoothly (and this is not very common for Comodo) and the AV is working fine.
The errors mentioned above are no longer there and the integration with Windows Security Center has improved.
Good job Comodo (y)

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
What are the recommended settings/tweaks for Comodo Antivirus? Similar to the tweaks of Comodo Cloud AV?
Maybe you can tell a bit more...i'm interested

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
What are the recommended settings/tweaks for Comodo Antivirus? Similar to the tweaks of Comodo Cloud AV?
Maybe you can tell a bit more...i'm interested
CAV has more settings compared with CCAV.
These are my tweaks:
  • General settings --> Configuration --> Enable Proactive Security (to increase security)
  • HIPS --> Disabled (to reduce alerts)
  • Containment --> Auto-containment --> Block unknown (similar to CCAV)
  • Containment --> Auto-containment --> Add exclusion for "Portable SW" folders (to reduce false positives, because I have several uncommon portable softwares that might be not whitelisted yet)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
CAV has more settings compared with CCAV.
These are my tweaks:
  • General settings --> Configuration --> Enable Proactive Security (to increase security)
  • HIPS --> Disabled (to reduce alerts)
  • Containment --> Auto-containment --> Block unknown (similar to CCAV)
  • Containment --> Auto-containment --> Add exclusion for "Portable SW" folders (to reduce false positives, because I have several uncommon portable softwares that might be not whitelisted yet)
@imuade now you have me confused. You installed CAV, but it has options for HIPS and Autocontainment. How is this program different from Comodo Internet Security, usually abbreviated as CIS?
Or did you actually install CIS?

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
@imuade now you have me confused. You installed CAV, but it has options for HIPS and Autocontainment. How is this program different from Comodo Internet Security, usually abbreviated as CIS?
Or did you actually install CIS?
When you install Comodo Internet Security (offline installer), you can check or uncheck two modules: Firewall and AntiVirus (Dragon and Secure Shopping are not available with the offline installer)
Installation.png

CIS is Firewall + AntiVirus
CAV is AntiVirus only
CFW is Firewall only
No matter which one you install, you always get General Settings, HIPS, Containment, File Rating (cloud lookup) and Advanced Protection
CIS.jpg

CFW.jpg

CAV.jpg

Last edited:

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
The advantage of using CIS (FW + AV) is that a malware running in the containment could connect to the internet and send out personal information, so the FW can block the connection and keep you safe.
But if you set the auto-containment to block unknow (instead of virtualizing them), the malware will be blocked and won't be able to connect out, so the FW is not needed.
And the FW module is the one which makes more stability problems (especially on Windows 10)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.