iPanik's config

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Hardening:
  • UAC at max
  • EMET 4.0
  • Autorun disabled
  • Deny installation of unsigned drivers. (now standard in Windows 8)
Backup: SkyDrive

The Laptop (Where it differs):
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Real-time Protection: Nothing right now ...

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011
You're probably good to go although I too prefer the Comodo FW. You take a different approach than I do but it's all good.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Agree ..but I know iPanik , he is really a Pro User. :p

G

Guest28

That is a great config but have you thought about running a DNS? like Norton and clearcloud etc?

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Thank you for the replies.
Having Prevx as the only real time protection does make my paranoid half itch a bit, but it has yet to fail me so i really like it.
I am keeping an eye on Comodo but i try to steer away from HIPS because i don't like to micromanage my security. Something that HIPS applications are very guilty of.

@ryan - I have tried some of them but am having some problems with false positives and since they don't have any "continue anyway" options i'm staying with my ISP untill they improve.

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Updated my config.
I am now using ESET Smart Security as real time protection, and added ESET SysInspector as on demand.

I am looking for a new backup plan since i'm moving soon, so i can't use the family NAS anymore (i could, but i don't want to transfer several gigabytes over the internet every week. :dodgy: ).
also, i can't use imaging as i don't have the capacity.
Any suggestions? :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since your an advance user well good config. Are you behind a DNS?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Solid config!

General computer knowledge: Advanced
Level of security risk: Low
Operating system: Windows 7 Professional SP1
OS architecture: 64 bit
Non-admin account: Yes
Real-time protection: ESET Smart Security 4.2
On-demand scanners: ESET SysInspector, Hitman pro
Browser(s): Google Chrome stable with Adblock, WOT and Lastpass
Hardening: UAC at max, EMET 2.0 at max, Autorun disabled
Backup: Dropbox, SyncBackSE

No Mbam ?:D

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
MBAM is installed here somewhere, but i haven't used it for months so i didn't think it belonged on the list.
I have Hitman Pro set to run a quick scan weekly and if it finds anything i run every scanner i can find anyway. :)

I don't use DNS's due to false positives, also my ISP is faster.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nice config. :)

I use Eset SysInspector too.

What are the deals with EsetSS4, are they multi-PC?

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
I really like sysinspector. It is now one of my favorite tools.

Like Norton, the price for a multi user license on the official stores is ridiculous. However Amazon has a 3 user license for as little as £22 (!) :D

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
My problem with Prevx seems to have been solved/fixed itself, so I am back with Prevx.

I first tried to pair it with Comodo firewall, and it wasn't bad. However, when I had to force a reboot because Comodo caused a fullscreen app to crash, I decided it had to go. So I am back with the tried and proven Look 'n' stop firewall.

I have also changed SyncBack to mirror my "Users" folder onto an external drive, but it's not on a schedule since I don't have the self-discipline to maintain it.

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Updated to ESET Smart Security 5 with pretty much default settings :)
Also removed Malwarebytes. Never used it anyway.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think their HIPS is also default so its very silent, but configure somethings like paranoid it will show popups.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.