iPanik's config

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Made some changes.
Up until now my backups has consisted of an old image and incremental backups of data to an external server. However since I moved i have found it difficult to maintain.
So i decided to dump backups completely, and move as much as possible into "the cloud", so now if my computer crashes, all i would really lose are the preferences for the apps installed. :)

Also removed adblock from my browser.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Cloud backup is fine but you will still have to resort to reformatting instead of mounting a new image. Why not just buy an external HDD and be done with it?

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Cloud backup is fine but you will still have to resort to reformatting instead of mounting a new image. Why not just buy an external HDD and be done with it?

simple: I don't have the self-discipline to maintain an up to date image. :)

also, an external HDD is expensive (well ... they are expensive to me anyway)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
you have the internet with speed like this:
93.30 mb / s for download
74.67 mb / s for uploads

What you can not do, and i'm sure you can do anything. you certainly can upload anything as well:)
Cloud storage is the best for you, practically.

I like your speed, iPanik.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
External hard drives expensive? What? Are you for real? They are extremely cheap. You can get a 1TB for $80. Or a 500GB for $40. So what you are saying is that you dont have what it takes to plug an external HDD in once or twice a week and click "backup". Seriously!

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Maximus said:
External hard drives expensive? What? Are you for real? They are extremely cheap. You can get a 1TB for $80. Or a 500GB for $40. So what you are saying is that you dont have what it takes to plug an external HDD in once or twice a week and click "backup". Seriously!

pretty much, yeah.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Maximus said:

Maximus, it might be expensive to buy them in the country that iPanik lives in.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Thats why there is Ebay. No such thing as an external HDD being expensive unless is 800TB's. Have a price list to show iPanik? Here is a link for you.

http://www.amazon.de/Platinum-MyDrive-externe-Festplatte-500GB/dp/B0043DZTXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320896970&sr=8-1

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
A price list for external HDD's? sure, this is a screenshot from a Danish price database listing External HDD's with at least 750GB sorted after price. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3233041/priser.jpg)

Lets do the math.

An external harddrive that has the space i require typically costs around 600 DKK with the cheap ones at 550 DKK. Roughly translated that's $100.

being the poor student that i am, i earn around 5000DKK = $900 per month after taxes.
Subtract all the usual expenses: rent, food, transport, phone bill etc. i have $150 left for unforeseen expenses, and they usually find some way to get spend.

So finding $100 for an HDD without ending up with a red bottom line is a bit of a challenge.

The link you gave costs 80 EUR which is $100. So buying in Germany doesn't make a difference on that front.

I could get one if i needed one, however it would have to be a big need.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Just like Maximus have said, I'd rather get an External HDD since it's much more convenient than an Online Backup Service.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Just like Maximus have said, I'd rather get an External HDD since it's much more convenient than an Online Backup Service.

agree with you Boxx. External Hard Disk is better,
but, iPanik have high speed to upload files.
so, no problem when uploading files (backups) to online storage.

D

Deleted member 178

if you are in a zone where no internet access are available, you will thanks your Ext-HDD :D

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
external hard disk, and online storage service.
both are good, and has advantages and disadvantages of each.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Everyone is missing the big picture. You cannot store an image to the cloud. External HDD wins not matter how you roll the dice. As far as expense. Well think of it as insurance and not an expense. We spend lots of money on our pc's so why not spend 1/4 of that money and back it up.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Thats means nothing win7holic unless you elaborate on your statement. Which advantage and which disadvantages. Its always best to provide examples. All you need to do is mount an image once after something drastic happens and the cost of an external HDD has paid itself off. we complain about auto insurance but the day you back into a $50,000 Mercedes and your insurance flips the pay the month fee is worth its price in gold.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There is nothing wrong in Online Backup but the commonly cons since you need to access in the internet so if you are in a place without connectivity then you will be fail to access it.

EHD will come to useful since its your personal and can access anything, the commonly cons is the budget issue but there can be a cheaper ones.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.