iPanik's config

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
There is nothing wrong in Online Backup but the commonly cons since you need to access in the internet so if you are in a place without connectivity then you will be fail to access it.

Very true, however if my internet dies i think access to my files will be the least of my problems. :D
down.jpg

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
No, when your internet is down, do the same as this guy, it will work :D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMe032S9krc

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Haha :lol:, nice one there. ;)

I like the "paint your feelings" at least you develop the skills there. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Simple indeed. Surprised about no Ad-Blocker extension for Chrome. I haven't use WOT in a few month, since switching to DuckDuckGo.

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
earth said:
Surprised about no Ad-Blocker extension for Chrome.
Yeah well, since ads are going to be one of my primary sources of income (hopefully), i have kind of changed my view on ads.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well since your not using AV, you can use Virustotal Uploader since it isn't considered as AV. ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I got a similar config, but less "secure" than yours. I use VT Uploader from time to time.

I noticed once you add a real-time security solution, you add more on-demand software. Can't say a reason why, but it happens.

You wouldn't by any chance know of how to disable execution of any files located in a certain path/location (ie. D:\Downloads)?

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
You wouldn't by any chance know of how to disable execution of any files located in a certain path/location (ie. D:\Downloads)?

If you have Win 7 ultimate or enterprise, you can use AppLocker which you can find in Group Policy (gpeditor.msc, more). For other versions we have SRP, also in Group Policy, however SRP is very headache inducing since you have to whitelist every directory allowed for execution.

If you are using Chrome, the easiest(and safest) way to accomplish this would be to use the 1806 trick. It denies execution of anything downloaded by Chrome, until you give the OK. Described here

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Earth said:
I got a similar config, but less "secure" than yours. I use VT Uploader from time to time.

I noticed once you add a real-time security solution, you add more on-demand software. Can't say a reason why, but it happens.

Its likely because demand scanners were part on our configuration so if the case no scanners is added we feel naked/lack even we have realtime protection.

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
updated:
Permanently moved to Windows 8, so taking the Windows Defender Smartscreen combo for a spin.

D

Deleted member 178

now it is clear, Win8 is lighter on my machine than Win7

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Driver issues forced me back to Windows 7 on the laptop. Oh well.
<rant>What is this menu thing and how do i get it away from me, and where is my win+x combo?!</rant>

I installed 64-bit Windows 7 Professional on it and equipped it with ESET Smart Security 7 Beta because i am very interested in the anti-theft functions.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hey, any reason for Firefox instead of Waterfox?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
McLovin said:
Hey, any reason for Firefox instead of Waterfox?

If I had to assume why it is because development for Waterfox is just too slow, The last update for Waterfox was back in January and since then many performance updates, critical security updates and other features that have been implemented by Mozilla into the newest Firefox build are not in Waterfox due to its lack of updates.

If you would like to have the minor performance enhancements of a x64 Firefox with the latest updates from Mozilla I would recommend Palemoon (latest update July 8th 2013) or Cyberfox (latest update June 30th 2013)

Thanks. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That is true. I've never tried Palemoon, and Cyberfox is something new altogether.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.