iPhone 12 Lineup with OLED Displays, Predicted to Start at $649

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Apple has never sold a new iPhone with an OLED display for under $999, but with the iPhone 12 lineup expected to include a wider range of models, that could soon change.

iPhone 12 pricing could start at $649 this year, according to Jon Prosser of the YouTube channel Front Page Tech. Prosser says this information comes from his same source who accurately revealed the new iPhone SE's launch date.

The prices would be as follows:
  • 5.4-inch iPhone 12: $649
  • 6.1-inch iPhone 12: $749
  • 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro: $999
  • 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max: $1,099
All four models are expected to feature OLED displays and 5G support, as analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously claimed. The less expensive 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch models are said to have dual-lens rear cameras, while the more expensive 6.1-inch model and 6.7-inch models are expected to have triple-lens rear cameras with a LiDAR Scanner.

Even if these prices are merely educated guesses, it is reasonable to assume that Apple will finally offer an OLED-based iPhone for less than $999 this year. Given its smaller size and lower pricing, the 5.4-inch iPhone could easily become one of Apple's best selling iPhone models ever, especially during these uncertain times.

Apple is expected to unveil its iPhone 12 lineup in September, although at least one model might not become available to order until October or November.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
  • Bringing OLED to the lowest tier iPhone in the 12 series would be an instant buy for me.
  • I see there are 2 regular iPhone 12 models listed? I wonder what the differences are?
  • If these prices are true, I'm very happy that Apple is also bringing some attention to the lower/mid-range phone market. This could make for some good competition that would force Android manufactures to respond in kind. This benefits all phone users regardless of what mobile OS they use.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
iOS' limited customization options make iPhones rather boring. I'm gonna get an Android smartphone.

Reactions: roger_m

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I see there are 2 regular iPhone 12 models listed? I wonder what the differences are?
Camera set-ups and LiDAR.
Jon Prosser said:
5.4 iPhone 12 D52G OLED / 5G 2 cam $649
6.1 iPhone 12 D53G OLED / 5G 2 cam $749
6.1 iPhone 12 Pro D53P OLED / 5G 3 cam + LiDAR $999

6.7 iPhone 12 Pro Max D54P OLED / 5G 3 cam + LiDAR $1,099

F

ForgottenSeer 77207

Good luck with receiving regular OS updates, most Android Phone manufacturers are slow.

Not wanting to start any fanboy fight or deviate from the topic but that is not true. I see manufacturers regularly providing updates now. We have older Android devices from Xiaomi and OnePlus at home. They are still being updated. One is running Android 10 with the latest security patches and the other is running Android 9 with latest security patches. Unofficially you can flash even other roms and rooting allows you to make the environment more private. I have an iPhone too but it's jailbroken. iPhone devices without jailbreak are limited imo.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not wanting to start any fanboy fight or deviate from the topic but that is not true. I see manufacturers regularly providing updates now. We have older Android devices from Xiaomi and OnePlus at home. They are still being updated.
There was a report shared not too long ago showing the rate of Android Phone manufacturers pushing out Android updates, my comments were based on that report. Phones purchased from Mobile providers may take longer for them to release updates, as further testing is required. It's not as simple as Apple pushing updates for all iPhone users.

Jailbreaking an iPhone is not recommended if you value security.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Other specs are courtesy of Jon Prosser. For the 5.4-inch iPhone 12 and the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Max (yes, those are reportedly the names) will have the following:
  • 60Hz Super Retina display
  • 4GB RAM
  • 128GB and 256GB storage tiers
  • Dual camera
  • Aluminum frame
They'll be priced at $649/$749 and $749/$849 for the iPhone 12 and the iPhone 12 Max, respectively. As for the 6.1- and 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, you'll see the following:
  • 120Hz Super Retina XDR display
  • 6GB RAM
  • 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage tiers
  • Triple-lens camera with LiDAR, 3x zoom lens
  • Stainless steel frame
Pricing isn't changing much, as the iPhone 12 Pro will be priced at $999, $1,099, and $1,299, while the Pro will be priced at $1,099, $1,199, and $1,399. There's also a new blue color, which will replace Midnight Green.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I hate this. My wife just said it would be enough for her to switch if they drop the port, and she hates Android. And leaving anybody lucky enough to have CarPlay out of luck would be pretty messed up. Not buying a new car every time Apple switches standards.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
iPhone 12 models will not include EarPods or a power adapter in the box, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today in a research note obtained by MacRumors. This lines up with a prediction shared by analysts at Barclays earlier this week.

Kuo said that Apple will instead release a new 20W power adapter as an optional accessory for iPhones and end production of its existing 5W and 18W power adapters later this year. The form factor of the new 20W power adapter is said to be similar to the 18W version, with USB-C Power Delivery for fast charging, as seen in the leaked photo below.

Kuo believes that iPhone 12 production costs will significantly increase due to 5G support, but he expects Apple to sell the new models at a comparable price to its iPhone 11 lineup, and removing the EarPods and power adapter from the box is one way to reduce costs. Apple would likely also tout the environmental benefits of such a move.

Barclays still expects Apple to include a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box as the only accessory included with iPhone 12 models.

Kuo also expects that Apple will stop including a 5W power adapter with the second-generation iPhone SE later this year, but he said that a 12W power adapter will continue to be included with current generations of the 10.2-inch iPad, iPad Air, and iPad mini.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
  • Bringing OLED to the lowest tier iPhone in the 12 series would be an instant buy for me.
  • I see there are 2 regular iPhone 12 models listed? I wonder what the differences are?
  • If these prices are true, I'm very happy that Apple is also bringing some attention to the lower/mid-range phone market. This could make for some good competition that would force Android manufactures to respond in kind. This benefits all phone users regardless of what mobile OS they use.
I'm just waiting for the 12 to arrive. I bought the 8+ when they came out, and it has performed great. Even now the battery is on 96% and "maximum performance capacity". I'm looking forward to the OLED screen.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
He makes some really good points. I agree with almost all of them. As someone who might get an iPhone in the future, I'd appreciate having a charger in the box (don't care much about the headphones). But if eliminating the charger means lowering the price of the phone, then I'm all for it.

The only point that confuses me is the e-waste comment. It only becomes waste once you throw it in the trash. Are people throwing away perfectly good chargers? I would think that people would save those chargers until the ones they currently use no longer function.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Apple has recently started sending surveys to iPhone users about how they use the USB charger that comes in the box. This comes ahead of the iPhone 12 announcement later this year and also rumors about Apple not including the USB charger and EarPods in the box for the first time.

The survey asks users what they did with the USB charger of their previous iPhone after replacing it with a new model, so Apple is targeting people who were already iPhone users and recently bought a new one.

Apple also explains that the survey refers to the USB power adapter and not to the Lightning cable.

The USB charger is used for charging using a wall outlet. You can plug the charger into an iPhone with a separate charging cable.
The survey includes a series of checkboxes with multiple possibilities on how consumers use their iPhone chargers, including:
  • I sold or traded it with my iPhone
  • I lost it
  • I gave it to a family member or friend
  • I still use it at home
  • I still use it outside (at work, school, or other places)
  • I still have it, but I don’t use it

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.