Advice Request Is 360 (Qihoo) Trustable?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Apple Fanboys don't like Chinese Smartphones....
But their I-Phones are produced in China...:p
Regardless of where they are manufactured, they are designed in California. Apple develops iOS and is trusted by many owners.
Android is different story, where manufacturers pre-install all sorts of junk apps into Android. A potential for anything.

That's not to say iOS isn't susceptible to malware (source).

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
The word in question here is "trustable" which cannot be measured or comes easily.I will not try to bash Qihoo just because it has had some bad publicity,most of the "trusted" brands we use have been through that phase more or less. It is ironic reading about the allegations and reports on Qihoo's privacy standards on google, a company which itself has been in the news for same reasons as above.Qihoo's can of worms is interesting- from publishing user documents openly online,the cross-allegations in it's rivalry with Baidu,international debacles in Brazil,faking security patches to employing underhanded schemes to rival IE in it's local market.So the bottom line is there is no such thing as absolute privacy. Some companies need more data, some less depending upon their business models, corporate logistics, specialization,marketplace competitors and statistical needs.
As a business,the word "trustable" in terms of privacy from the eyes of the executives does not figure anywhere among the top priorities.As a consumer, it may or may not matter because the all the 'free' services have a hidden cost to pay.You trust it or not is a simple yes and no question depending upon your discretion.As an antivirus/antimalware/antispyware product it is good enough for most of the users.
We have to take somebody's word for it or use it ourselves to trust.

Last edited:

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Every software is vulnerable. I keep going back to AVG Free only because its good in performance and does not behave like a tough-ass guard dog, constantly requiring my attention.

Your car is German. Your vodka is Russian. Your furniture is Swedish. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your Carling is Canadian. Your coffee is Columbian. Your democracy is Greek. Your iPhone is made in Taiwan. Your clothes are made in Bangladesh. Your movies are made in America. Your tea is from China. Your TV is from Korea. Your laptop is from Japan. Your Guinness is from Ireland. Your numbers are Arabic. Your letters are Latin. And your language is a hotchpotch of German and French. But would you complain if your neighbour is an immigrant?

Got to love supply chain and logistics (or hate it).

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I do trust quihoo because of his great protection. However, I have to say that sometimes it's buggy and it displays only alerts witch tell that an unknown software is about to run (not malware, but unknown for everything). If you scan it with virus total, QVM detects it. (It seems that sometimes they have problem with their engines). Regarding privacy, I agree the fact that they can take my personal information, the important is that they do not sell it also with password, so that you won't get hacked. It seems that noone has complained about their personal accounts to be hacked while using quihoo, so why to worry

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Again privacy can sometimes a conflict to every software because of many factors connect on continuous development of a product.

Qihoo 360 in security can be trusted, but in the privacy well as long it doesn't misaligned on the actual purpose then no issue.

Stereotype base on the location, well issues may result on intention or coincidence instead.

Elizabeth23

Level 1
Feb 10, 2016
I use 360 Total security essentials, and I like it. :) As for privacy, I don't have much to be private about, only thing I do online is surf forums, now and then I buy something but use paypal, who supposedly just got hacked, but it's either/or. You just have to trust until you have a reason not to. :)

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
I have a love hate relationship with Qihoo. What most people don't realize is, privacy policy means nothing. They could be taking more or less than what they say they are unless you get Emsisoft which allows you to turn off encryption of data and read everything they are sending to their own servers. You the individual have to say "hey I trust Qihoo as a company" to use it. Qihoo does take data, and it does sell data to make money. I have no idea if they anonymize it before doing it. Obviously more than Qihoo does this but many AVs anonymize it before using it (like Avast, Emsisoft, etc).

If you trust the privacy policy and feel they won't overstep it, it's as good as any other privacy policy out there. They claim they won't share personal user information and these include:

screenshot_72.png

Source: 360 Total Security | Download Free Antivirus for PC

Since trust is user choice, you will have to decide to use it or not however protection wise, I recommend it. For free AV, it's probably my favorite in protection, system impact, resource usage, and control over detection (no forced quarantine/deletion by changing one setting).

Personally, it's legit be afraid seeing these privacy policies... Too much vulnerability of your personal user information (credit card, email....)

c6SVfFN.jpg

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Every software is vulnerable. I keep going back to AVG Free only because its good in performance and does not behave like a tough-ass guard dog, constantly requiring my attention.

Your car is German. Your vodka is Russian. Your furniture is Swedish. Your pizza is Italian. Your kebab is Turkish. Your Carling is Canadian. Your coffee is Columbian. Your democracy is Greek. Your iPhone is made in Taiwan. Your clothes are made in Bangladesh. Your movies are made in America. Your tea is from China. Your TV is from Korea. Your laptop is from Japan. Your Guinness is from Ireland. Your numbers are Arabic. Your letters are Latin. And your language is a hotchpotch of German and French. But would you complain if your neighbour is an immigrant?

Got to love supply chain and logistics (or hate it).
Kudos on this one!:cool:

scoob95

Level 1
Verified
Feb 1, 2016
Chinese products are not that trustable after the Lenovo Superfish scam.

I know US goverment spends more budget on spying than China but American and European products are more trustable than Chinese ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.