Is 7zip malware?

Asgard20032

Level 1
Aug 1, 2017
If in doubt, check its source code. 7-zip is an opensource software audited by thousands of developer, to assure its quality, and to prevent any malware or virus. Every change to its source code must be approved, from its version control system. There have been virus in some open-source software, it has happened few time, but most of the time, its because of the version control system was compromised, not because the software is bad. The same already happened with closed source software from big company. If the version control system is compromised, or the server that host the file is compromised, the the hacker can put whatever file he want instead of the real software (server compromised case) or alter the source code ( version control system compromised case).

This is also why many opensource software (and some closed source software) also give you a checksum, so you can verify if the file was also altered during the download, either corrupt, or man in the middle attack.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Compare the MD5/SHA-1, 7-zip is a safe program however there's a history about the developers background became questionable (AFAIK) which why the program itself may considered suspicious.

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Maybe. But there's a huge difference between malware and sinister malware. If 7zip is doing ads it'l be easy to shut down

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@roger_m: Yes I know :), its a pure false positive; maybe there are some connection from possible allegations which why it rated to be malware without any due process.

Regardless the two program are known to provide possible high rate of erroneous result.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If the two detections on VT would have been Kaspersky and Bitdefender, or some other vendors with a good reputation, I would worry a little.

I find this quite a harsh answer , to be completely be hounest. not everyone is confident when it comes to computing! the op just wants to be sure and he has a right to ask it here.....better be safe than sorry!!!
+1
the original poster was 100% right in asking his question. If others are more knowledgeable, they are welcome to share their knowledge in a respectful manner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
@Trickster
Even my grandpa knows 7 zip is safe:p there is no reason to ask.
the op has many posts like this.
Every day ppl open topics and ask for smth when the answer is already into the forum.
they are lazy to do some search for their problems.that's why I'm rude :rolleyes:
The op should search the google first!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...zip-safe/d7580e74-8b10-4fd0-a41e-35ca1144fda0
Is 7 Zip Safe?
Is 7 Zip Safe? - [Solved] - Apps General Discussion
7 zip : Is it 100% safe? No viruses? Free? Whats the catch?
there are more! make her/him self into the trouble
IM one of those guys that ask many questions but before that, I do some search and try for what i want.
BUT if I didn't find my Answer then I will ask... but i do not open a topic for every question I have I just ask it in PV or somewhere.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.