Is 7zip malware?

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
Jesus christ, im only asking questions.
I dont accpect everyone to answear them. But if you have a problem seeing my questions then you can just ignore them. No need to be rude.

Your concern is totally valid. A few years ago I uploaded a suspicious file to Virus Total, and only Dr. Web detected something malicious in there. At the end, Dr. Web was right! the file had a virus that gradually the other vendors started to notice.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Your concern is totally valid. A few years ago I uploaded a suspicious file to Virus Total, and only Dr. Web detected something malicious in there. At the end, Dr. Web was right! the file had a virus that gradually the other vendors started to notice.
Very good point. It might take a couple days for the AV engines to recognize a new malware, especially over the weekend. So if it is a new file, you need to be extra suspicious.

But if it is a couple weeks old, and it has a very low detection rate on VT, and you got it from a public source, then there is not much to worry about.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
A few valid points on this thread.
Usually better to get stuff from the developer's page, not through 3rd party sites like Cnet, etc cos as has been mentioned many times, stuff gets bundled with crapware and the like;) BUT that's where Unchecky Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear can be useful as the wording can be designed to trap you and you end up getting a couple of unwanted Puppies:p:p
There may be a degree of paranoia with the OP but if they've been hit with nasties before, it's understandable - "Once bitten, Twice shy"
And always an idea to do a little research beforehand if uncertain, after all they do say 'Google is your friend':p

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
@Trickster
Even my grandpa knows 7 zip is safe:p there is no reason to ask.
the op has many posts like this.
Every day ppl open topics and ask for smth when the answer is already into the forum.
they are lazy to do some search for their problems.that's why I'm rude :rolleyes:
The op should search the google first!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...zip-safe/d7580e74-8b10-4fd0-a41e-35ca1144fda0
Is 7 Zip Safe?
Is 7 Zip Safe? - [Solved] - Apps General Discussion
7 zip : Is it 100% safe? No viruses? Free? Whats the catch?
there are more! make her/him self into the trouble
IM one of those guys that ask many questions but before that, I do some search and try for what i want.
BUT if I didn't find my Answer then I will ask... but i do not open a topic for every question I have I just ask it in PV or somewhere.

I prefer the answer of people here at Malware Tips :cool: than those on Yahoo Answers(really?) or the Tom*.* or Microsoft forums that almost never solves users' problems and we find out the fixes for ourselves. So, IMHO, it is OK to bring OP's kind of questions here. Besides, having this kind of "newbie" questions here will attract more new people (via Google) and that guarantees a longer life to this forum :)

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
the op has got the beta version of 7zip, did none of you notice that ? 7zip betas always & i mean always get red flags at virus total.

there was a 7zip v9.20 x64 .exe which has been removed permanently from the downloads page at 7-zip & sourceforge, i wonder why :rolleyes: :cool:

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
the op has got the beta version of 7zip, did none of you notice that ? 7zip betas always & i mean always get red flags at virus total.

there was a 7zip v9.20 x64 .exe which has been removed permanently from the downloads page at 7-zip & sourceforge, i wonder why :rolleyes: :cool:

Good info. Thanx!

Reactions: ispx

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Its not malware its perfectly safe.

Although I'm not sure if they sign their executables (I didn't check) but Comodo's sandbox nabbed them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.