Advice Request Is it okay to use MS Office 2007 in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
yes, perfectly fine.
However, you need to block the inbound connections of office apps using windows firewall and use syshardener, or similar apps, to block all vulnerable elements of office (scripts, macros, activeX, OLE,...)
1.PNG
more aggressively, you can block both inbound and outbound connections with firewall + with 1 option in settings
Capture.PNG

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Even if you will use all methods from this thread to harden Word 2007 (Word tweaks, firewall rules, etc.), then it would be still insufficient. They do not prevent in-memory exploits. For example, the known vulnerability related to the equation editor was patched by Microsoft only if you installed the Service Pack 3 for the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite. Some other exploits can be not patched, because Word 2007 is officially not supported by Microsoft. Any Word exploit opens the possibility of using fileless methods, so you have to harden the system against scripts and popular LOLBins. This can be done by properly configuring Anti-exe, SRP, etc. This way is appropriate only for users who have to use MS Word.

My conclusion remains the same, you will spend more time thinking about securing MS Word 2007, than adapting to something else (simpler and safer). :)

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I really need to get my Mom off of Office 2007. Hopefully I can sooner or later.

Sadly I don't think I ever will :(

ng4ever

Level 16
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Which version of LibreOffice did you go with ? What version should I let my Mom try ? Just wondering.

Brahman

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Thank sorry it said use newest for power users and older version for more reliable use.
There is no reliability issue with libre office. If you are switching why not use the newest. There's not much difference with new and old in layouts.

Reactions: ng4ever

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.