Advice Request Is it possible to replace a laptop with a tablet ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It really depends on the situation. I think computers are still a better option mainly because they are easier to upgrade if you need more memory or disk space, for instance.. But if you'll just browse some sites and won't be creating any complex documents, I believe it could be used.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks @upnorth
Only Microsoft make "surface books" ?
No, several brands has similar solutions, but depends on what your budget is and what you really want or need. Microsofts Surface Pro 7 or the X serie is some real nice ones.

A tip is if possible, visit a local store and check out a few models/brands. Don't forget bring some hand sanitizer or protection gloves. (y)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hello,
I'm very interested in the new iPad Pro 12"9 and its accessories, Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard.
But this package is very expensive so I'm wondering if it can really replace a laptop for office tasks ?
It's entirely possible. Have you used Apple products or services before?

For now, iPad Pro is their best tablet computer that runs iPadOS.

Check out the latest changes coming to iPadOS 14 here and more about WWDC.

If it's not an urgent purchase, within the next 2 years Apple will bring their own Apple Silicon to Macbook for consumers. Currently only a dev kit is available in the Mac Mini form-factor.

Microsoft Surface lineup is similar to Apple's premium price point. Take a look at the Surface Book 3 for a larger screen, or Pro 7 or X for a smaller screen.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
It's entirely possible. Have you used Apple products or services before?

For now, iPad Pro is their best tablet computer that runs iPadOS.

Check out the latest changes coming to iPadOS 14 here and more about WWDC.

If it's not an urgent purchase, within the next 2 years Apple will bring their own Apple Silicon to Macbook for consumers. Currently only a dev kit is available in the Mac Mini form-factor.

Microsoft Surface lineup is similar to Apple's premium price point. Take a look at the Surface Book 3 for a larger screen, or Pro 7 or X for a smaller screen.
Thanks @Spawn
I used iPhone from many years and also an old iPad (2012).
Recently I broke my old iPad and so I will replace it and of course I cannot wait 2 years.
However Surface Book 3 seems to be a good alternative.
Do you know if SB3 make more or less noise than iPad and also which stays cooler during intensive use ?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you know if SB3 make more or less noise than iPad and also which stays cooler during intensive use ?
Depends on the model.
Surface lineup with lower specs may be been fanless, but expect a fan with Core i5 and i7 processors.

Tried it back in 2018, it was a painful experience, I don't recommend it :/
iPad Pro or Surface Book?

iPadOS was announced in 2019, have you tried it since?

Last edited:

mike6688

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Hello,
I'm very interested in the new iPad Pro 12"9 and its accessories, Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard.
But this package is very expensive so I'm wondering if it can really replace a laptop for office tasks ?

I think the answer to this will depend on the user. What software do you use? Is there a chance you may need any other software in the future? As an example, I use a software called SPSS that has no decent alternative, it will only run on Windows or Mac and can't run on tablets. For general office-based tasks, browsing etc. then you could easily switch, but for more advanced software use I would say stick to a laptop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.