Advice Request Is it safe to recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, without having used it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A family-friend recently bought a PC from an online store with came bundled with a Norton 90 day free trial.

My concern was that Microsoft Defender might not have been that effective, were they to download warez or game mods.

I made the recommendation to uninstall Norton Security and sent a link for them to use Kaspersky Free AV as an alternative.

Was this the correct call? Or a mistake on my behalf having never used Kaspersky before.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Was this the correct call? Or a mistake on my behalf having never used Kaspersky before.
You were right to recommend that antivirus but there is also C_D which configures in a very simple way the native Microsoft antivirus to be good enough for almost any user.

:)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You might as well just recommend them to install Kaspersky after Norton's trial ends, since Norton Security is a more complete suite than Kaspersky's basic free antivirus. Nevertheless, when talking freeware, Kaspersky is one of the best options, so good call.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If they have the habit of downloading cracked programs then there is nothing better than Kaspersky because 9.5/10 times it doesn't detect cracked items unless the crack is a malware in disguise. Other programs including Norton & MD would sometime detect harmless crack files as malware/pup/hacktool.
Try to explain them this and tell them to never turn off Kaspersky's protection.

Pixelman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Here, this is a similar discussion that I had with others. It might help.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
This kaspersky antivirus was or is so good, at the time of windows 98 it detected a bat file with DOS "del" commands to delete files from the windows folder, although it was a false positive, it saved me at the time because it would delete the "win.com" file and windows would not open, it detected it as hacktool, I was impressed at the time with that.;)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Go to sites like AV-Comparatives and see which does best overall.
Irrelevant and a waste of time. Picking a suite with the best overall score does not imply it's better than it's competitors, not reflective of real world usage per individual.

If they have the habit of downloading cracked programs then there is nothing better than Kaspersky because 9.5/10 times it doesn't detect cracked items unless the crack is a malware in disguise. Other programs including Norton & MD would sometime detect harmless crack files as malware/pup/hacktool.
Try to explain them this and tell them to never turn off Kaspersky's protection.
It's a possibility, but at the same time I am not responsible for their actions.

You might as well just recommend them to install Kaspersky after Norton's trial ends, since Norton Security is a more complete suite than Kaspersky's basic free antivirus. Nevertheless, when talking freeware, Kaspersky is one of the best options, so good call.
I'd rather not have them deal with Norton scareware pop-ups at trials end.

Kaspersky Free is a solid AV, so I would say it's a good call. I does annoy sometimes with notifications/news but iirc those can be disabled in preferences.
That's good to know. I will pass along the message to them. Is there option for password-protection settings that can be setup by the parent?

Here, this is a similar discussion that I had with others. It might help.

Almost overlooked the browser aspect, I will also make the recommendation of Adguard Web extension.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Irrelevant and a waste of time. Picking a suite with the best overall score does not imply it's better than it's competitors, not reflective of real world usage per individual.
I was going to say that the OP is probably a novice and won't know how to to measure the performance impact of an AV, which is why he's asking forum members if his suggestion is right, and then I realized that you're the same OP!

If you're already correcting others' answers to your question, then why did you bother to create this thread in the first place? It looks like you already know what to do.

In fact, your point even works against you: if what you wanted in the first place is something "reflective of real world usage per individual," then the only way to see if you made the correct call is to let your friend use Kaspersky and then see what happens. In which case, you didn't have to create this thread.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.