Advice Request Is it still possible to get Malwarebytes lifetime?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 94943
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I'd sell you mine, but after I heard how MB deactivated most lifetime licenses (mine was a legit purchase), I'm unsure it works.

As for me MB is bloated crapware that offers little advantage, and generally bogs down PC resources. Good luck with your quest.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Thread author
I'd sell you mine, but after I heard how MB deactivated most lifetime licenses (mine was a legit purchase), I'm unsure it works.

As for me MB is bloated crapware that offers little advantage, and generally bogs down PC resources. Good luck with your quest.
How and why do they deactivate lifetime licenses? Even legitimate ones?

Reactions: Sorrento
F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Thread author
Because they dont make any money from you anymore.
They store all generated, and activated keys, on their servers and easily just access them whenever they want if they want to disable.
I am not sure if they can just deactivate them that way. Either users exceed the allowed number of activation and deactivation if there is one, or maybe could be sth else. But as far as I know, Malwarebytes honoured those who had lifetime licenses and allowed them to continue using the product without asking them to pay.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

They did not, and will not, deactivate legitimate lifetime licenses, mine still works. And any lifetime license bought now will most certainly be pirated as they stopped selling them in 2014.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I am not sure if they can just deactivate them that way. Either users exceed the allowed number of activation and deactivation if there is one, or maybe could be sth else. But as far as I know, Malwarebytes honoured those who had lifetime licenses and allowed them to continue using the product without asking them to pay.
Yup, either its an pirated license or users are misusing them and trying to use on more than one machine.

Reactions: Sorrento and plat

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Its possible they deactivate licenses that users sell or illegally obtain.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Thread author
Sure, I guess thats possible.
Most lifetime licenses offered for sale are just the product key and ID not the account itself. This is a red flag for me. But if the seller offers access to the account itself, I guess it is a good sign that the license is not pirated.

But seriously, is selling your previously purchased license illegal?

• Wow
Reactions: Sorrento and plat

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
If you search online, it seems they stopped selling "lifetime" licenses in 2014.

If you want to hear it from a Malwarebytes rep., maybe post your question on their forums. But this came up in a search so maybe it answers your question. If not, maybe you can consider to post there.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I'm one of the deactivation victims as well. I bought mine during the last month of announcing that the sale of lifetime licences were going to cease to be sold (from their own website/store). Bought them for around €18 give or take with discount, but that got deactivated like 5 years laters... I don't really have a good relationship with them as a company.

Note: I had more non-liftime licences connected to my account for the family.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Thread author
I'm one of the deactivation victims as well. I bought mine during the last month of announcing that the sale of lifetime licences were going to cease to be sold (from their own website/store). Bought them for around €18 give or take with discount, but that got deactivated like 5 years laters... I don't really have a good relationship with them as a company.

Note: I had more licences connected to my account for the family.
Did they not inform you as to why that happened?

Reactions: Sorrento

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
my license I think I bought it back in 2010 but it looks like someone has my password as I have 3 computers that I don't recognize connected to my account but I don't care as I don't use Malwarebytes.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Bought them for around €18 give or take with discount, but that got deactivated like 5 years laters... I don't really have a good relationship with them as a company.
You are not alone. Generally they will disingenuously claim that your license is fraudulent or abused. Even if you happen to have the physical receipt (of some 10+ years ago), they will accuse you of reselling your license and deny your claim. MB is a sad wreck of an organization.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Bought them for around €18 give or take with discount, but that got deactivated like 5 years laters... I don't really have a good relationship with them as a company.
You are not alone. Generally they disingenuosly claim that the license is if fraudualant. Your only recourse is to provide a physical receipt from your purchase 10+ years ago.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
You are not alone. Generally they disingenuosly claim that the license is if fraudualant. Your only recourse is to provide a physical receipt from your purchase 10+ years ago.
I have three lifetimes that I bought many years ago and are still honored to this day, without any issues.

• Applause
Reactions: dinosaur07

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.