Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For a few days already I am seeing the following message when I visit
"This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now."

Consequently I cannot log into the site. Is this happening to other people, too?
I sent a email to the webmaster but no reply.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For a few days already I am seeing the following message when I visit
"This site is in read only mode. Please continue to browse, but replying, likes, and other actions are disabled for now."

Consequently I can log into the site. Is this happening to other people, too?
Yes, I saw the same yesterday.
There seems to be some server troubles:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
This doesn't sound good for the Manjaro project. The backers are not going to keep funding something like this, and Manjaro is not a the kind of a project that idealists are producing on their own time and money.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
As long as MX Linux, Deepin, Arch based Endeavour OS exists, I don't think I'll miss Manjaro.

For stabillity, which works well on UEFI and legacy hardware Rosa Fresh desktop is a good choice
Zorin works great too and deserves it's popularity very much.
Among various other desktop environments that no one needs is worthy is Ubuntu Budgie
Have had the most issues with installation with Manjaro, BlueStar and Condress
Deepin is a great choice for a beautiful desktop but be ready to encounter some bugs at times
Endeavour OS is a dark horse among Arch based ones.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sorry just a side question

Anyone using uBO in Manjaro? The color pane just cannot be displayed to the left after enabling 'I'm an advanced user' . See screenshot below

I'm using Ungoogled Chromium. Does it happen in your browser?

Screenshot_2020-08-16_09-32-29.png

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Looks like Manjaro is back, with a fancy new forum.
What do you guys say? Would you still recommend installing Manjaro at this point, or is their future shaky?

Ah the ever evolving linux soap opera.:p

In all seriousness, I followed the story and its one of those shouldn't have been as big of a deal as it was in the grand scheme of things type story. It wasn't handled as well as it should have IMO and I say this to both sides. Phil could have handled it better, but the former donations manger could have handled it better too. In all fairness he (former community manger) is well known to have a short fuse in general, so it was just asking for trouble. That's just my opinion.

As to the forum, from what I gather is that it was an update gone wrong that brought the forum down. Unfortunately they couldn't salvage it, so they had to start from scratch. They do have a read only type cache of the old form, of which they hope to bring over some of the old useful threads and make them part of the new forum.

As to using Manjaro, I will keep using it. Again I just look at it as some silly childness that played out in the grand scheme of things. I mean MS, Apple, Google, etc... have been accused of far worse and yet we are still use their products.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In the meantime I went with MX Linux with the default Xfce desktop, Advanced Hardware Support version. After a while the slow boot time drove me so crazy that I imaged back to Kubuntu. But as soon as I did that, I read that if I enable systemd, it will improve boot time dramatically, and indeed, it did!
MX has a boot configuration tool (they are famous for their tools) that makes it as easy as pie to enable systemd, and has other cool boot options, too. :)

MX just released a KDE version, now it is out of beta, but I noticed that announcement only after setting up Xfce...........

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I wonder how the MX KDE version fares? I may have to run it up on a VM and give a whirl.
It's good, it's well done, but the version of Plasma is much older. If you want the newest KDE tweaks, MX is not for you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.